Chapter 13

I can't focus at all, especially not in video class because Ross isn't here again. He's going to get in trouble if he keeps skipping.

If I'd just kept my mouth shut, Taylor wouldn't know Ross got punched, and they wouldn't have fought. Ross probably doesn't want to talk to me right now.

I walk home alone, wondering if I should text him or not. I have to apologize somehow. The image of him glaring at me won't leave my mind.

By dinnertime I've sent him a text and even tried to call him, but I guess he's mad. I'm worried, though. I pace around my bedroom, too anxious to do homework or draw.

Around 8 pm I pull on my coat and walk to his house. I hope I'm not going too far as I knock softly on the door. Maybe he just needs some space, or maybe I'm overthinking everything, but I'm already here, and I have to apologize or I'll never calm down.

I hear voices inside, but can't make out what they're saying. A moment later, Ross pulls open the door and stares at me. I can't read his expression. The atmosphere is tense.

A petite woman with long, stylish brown hair is standing a few feet behind him. She looks almost too young to be his mother. "I didn't say you could have friends over," she says bitterly.

"I don't need your permission," he snaps at her.

She glares at him, taking a few steps.

Ross hurries outside and grabs my wrist, pulling me away from the house.

"Get back here! I'm the one who takes care of you, you ungrateful..." She slams the door.

Ross pulls me down the street, eventually letting go of my wrist.

I bite my lip. I definitely came at a bad time. "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have come over..."

He slows down and shakes his head. "It's okay. I'm glad you came. Just sorry you had to see that."

I watch the ground as we walk, unsure of what I could say in response.

"I thought you were mad at me," I tell him cautiously. "I'm sorry for telling Taylor."

Ross stares straight ahead, quiet for a few tense seconds. "It's fine. I don't want to fight with anyone else today."

I wish I could hug him, or something, but he won't even look at me. How am I supposed to make it better?

He shivers slightly. It's already December, and he ran out the door without a coat.

"Want to go inside somewhere?" I ask. He shrugs, but I know he's cold. "The diner, maybe?"

"I'm not hungry."

I sigh. "Take my jacket then." I start to unzip it but he shakes his head, finally making eye contact with me and giving me a small smile.

"Let's just sit down somewhere, away from people," he says. We go to the balcony at the back of the community center and sit against the wall.

Ross stares out at the fields, through the bars on the railing, and sighs. I want to ask him if he's okay, and I want to ask him about Jacob.

The subject scares me. Do I really want to know about their past?

"So," I say softly, "You and your mom had a fight?"

"Yeah, that's nothing unusual though."

He's quiet after that, and I don't want to pry. "You know, if you want to talk about anything, I'm here for you."

"Not today," he says, resting his head on my shoulder. "But thank you."

I feel myself blushing. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Are you still friends with Jacob?"

"What did Taylor tell you?" he asks.

"Just that you used to be friends."

Ross is quiet for a moment. "I don't want to talk about Jake right now."

I don't want to either, but my heart aches, so I hesitantly say, "Please try to stay away from him."

Ross picks his head up from my shoulder. "Not you, too. Don't be like the others."

"I'm worried, though."

"I can take care of myself. You don't need to worry."

My heart sinks. "How could I not? He hurt you."

Ross starts to stand. "You don't know the whole story, Jude."

I look up at him. I know a hell of a lot more than he thinks. Standing up to face him, I put my hands on his shoulders. "Please..."

Ross's eyes widen, and then his expression softens. He smiles gently and takes my hands off of him. "Let me walk you home now."

I follow him down the stairs and back to the sidewalk, feeling dejected. I was so close to telling him about my own past with Jacob, but in the end I just couldn't. Would it even make a difference if he knew, though? He already knows Jacob is violent, doesn't he?

When we reach my apartment, I don't want him to go. I don't want him to be alone.

"You really forgive Jacob for hitting you?"

Ross watches me for a moment and then sighs. "Good night, Jude."

"No," I say, looking at the ground. "You never give me straight answers." I sit down on the steps outside the apartment. This conversation can't be over just yet.

After several long seconds, Ross finally sits down next to me.

"You want straight answers? Yes, I forgive him. Why? Because he had a perfectly good reason to hit me. We were fighting and I said some things that pissed him off."

I fold my arms and take a deep breath. That's not what I wanted to hear. "He's violent, Ross."

He shakes his head. "He only hit me one time. Okay, two times. But he's not a violent person, Jude."

How is Ross so oblivious? "Did he ever do anything else to you?"

"No."

"What about your friends? And other people?"

"Not that I know of. Like I said, he's not violent. He can be annoying sometimes, but that's just how he is."

Thinking back to all the things Jacob did to me, it hits me. His nice guy act. Jacob always threatened to do worse to me if I told anyone what he did, and he told me no one would believe me anyway. He's an honor student and an athlete. Popular. He never boasted about it to his friends, back then. At least not in front of me. Did he even bully anyone else?

My heart starts to pound. Was I his only target? No way... Why? Why did he pick me?

No wonder Ross forgives him. He has no clue. Yeah, Jacob and his friends don't seem to like him, but it's usually other guys who call him names and chase him down.

I can feel Ross watching me. "You okay?" he asks.

I don't know what to say. I want to cry. Ross won't believe me, will he?

Taylor would, I'm pretty sure, but that still doesn't mean Ross would listen to us.

"Just cold," I say quickly.

He smiles softly and pats my shoulder. "Go inside and get some sleep. Don't worry about me so much."

I sigh and stand up. There's no point in trying to continue this conversation tonight.