Chapter 4

By Monday I don't think I'm any less afraid than I was before. Jacob could be around any corner.

Ross and Taylor chat during Art. Ross doesn't ask me about Friday night, to my relief. This morning I look at his response to my text. It's okay.

Besides my problems with Jacob, my teachers are starting to get frustrated with me. As I'm leaving class, my English teacher tells me I need to participate more. In math, I'm asked to show how to do a problem on the board and thankfully my work speaks for itself and I don't have to explain anything. It would have been worse if I didn't know how to do the problem.

At lunch, I find our table and sit next to Ross as I usually do. But today, I'm on the lookout. I never paid much attention to the people who filled the crowded cafeteria. Now I'm sure Jacob is around, as well as his sister. This is the period when juniors and seniors eat, so they'll both be here somewhere.

I sit down before I even get my food, in a rush to be out of sight.

"Hey," says Evynne.

I smile a little at her. She's a nice person, but I still have trouble talking to her.

"Aren't you eating?" asks Ross.

I look down at the empty space on the table in front of me. Oh, I guess I need to go get food...

Glancing around cautiously, I don't see Jacob but that doesn't mean he won't see me. I shake my head.

"Did you forget money?" asks Taylor. I'm surprised he cares.

"We'll spot you if you did," adds Ross.

I'm touched that he'd do that for me. I smile softly and try my best to speak because I have to thank him. "No, I'm just not hungry," I manage to get out. "Thank you."

Nadine looks at me in amusement. "That's the longest sentence I've ever heard you say."

Feeling myself blush, I think back and realize she's right. I've only said a few words to them.

Evynne chuckles and smiles at me.

I try to focus on listening to their conversation but I'm not following it. They're into shows I've never watched and bands I've never heard of. If only I could afford Netflix or a laptop. I guess I could look up some stuff on my phone when I get home. They let me sit with them at lunch and Ross tries to include me, but most of the time they don't bother asking me anything because they know I probably won't answer. So I don't think they notice that my mind wanders off.

Without food to distract me, all I can think of is Jacob. Part of me wants to look around and see if I can spot him in the cafeteria so I can avoid him, but then I would risk him seeing me. I wonder if his sister has told him about me yet.

"You know, you don't live very far from me. Why don't we walk home together?" Ross asks me after video production class.

I give him a short nod, not in the mood to use words. I didn't even write notes to him this class. My English teacher got annoyed at me again for not participating and it has bothered me the whole afternoon. Basically, any situation where the attention is on me makes me anxious. I wish I weren't so sensitive.

Taylor meets up with us. I guess he lives in town too. The three of us walk together, with Taylor complaining about gym class.

"You're not even in gym, are you? Lucky. It's too hot out right now." Taylor looks over at me and catches my attention.

I shake my head.

"Jude has health this semester," Ross explains for me.

"Lucky."

Ross chuckles and shrugs. "I don't mind it. I like running. I get to blaze right past Will and Brian and those guys. I don't even do track." He grins confidently.

"At least I'm faster than Jacob. He's so slow even I can pass him." Taylor snickers.

My heart pounds at the familiar name.

Ross stops walking, pulls out his phone, and slows down a little as he checks it. "Oh.... Um...." He looks around and then at the two of us. "I forgot something at school."

"Forgot what?" Taylor asks, looking confused.

"One of my notebooks. I'll see you two tomorrow, okay?" He smiles and waves as he hurries back towards the school.

Suddenly I feel very nervous being alone with Taylor. I have no idea what to say to him.

To my surprise, he rolls his eyes. "Bullshit. He was texting someone." Taylor looks back at Ross and then at me. "He ditched us."

I frown slightly but I'm sure Ross probably just forgot something.

"Let's wait for him." Taylor smiles and gestures for me to follow him. We haven't gone very far, after all. "So... How's that video project going?"

I know I shouldn't be rude. I don't mean to, but I know I come off that way when I hesitate. "Um... Good."

"It's a commercial, right? That's pretty cool."

I nod and as we reach the school, the buses are leaving. It's much quieter inside even though a lot of students still stay after for clubs and sports.

Our conversation stalls again as we wander through the halls. I assume Taylor knows where Ross's locker is, as we enter the senior wing. I have only been down here once with Ross at the beginning of the year.

As he texts someone, probably Ross, I lean against the wall. A group of guys down the hallway makes me nervous, but I don't think any of them are Jacob. I wonder if he'd already seen me before I even knew that he goes to school here. I move around the corner so I'm slightly out of view.

After a moment Taylor taps my shoulder and I flinch. "Hey, it's okay. Let's go wait out front for him since he's not at his locker."

I nod and follow Taylor down the hall. A few girls in field hockey uniforms exit the gym as we pass. I immediately recognize Jacob's sister, feeling her eyes on me as I lower my gaze. I walk faster so I can catch up with Taylor, but I can hear the tapping of her sneakers behind us.

"Hey." At the sound of her voice, Taylor turns around. He looks a bit confused, so I wonder if they know each other or not.

"Not you, him."

I hesitantly turn around and look up at the tall girl.

"Yeah, I thought it was you. You remember me, right?" She frowns when I don't answer. "Clara McIntyre. We both went to Mapleton. How do you not remember me?"

Taylor looks between the two of us. "I wouldn't want to remember you either," he says calmly to Clara.

"I'm not talking to you!" she snaps at him, and I flinch. I can't even meet her eyes. I take a step back, hoping Taylor will get the hint that we need to leave.

Clara moves towards me and I hold my breath. "What's with the silence, Jude? Too cool to talk to me?"

I quickly shake my head, trying to resist the urge to run.

"Yo, leave him alone." Taylor steps in front of me and I blink at him in surprise. "This is why no one likes you, Clara."

"You've got it wrong. Everyone worth being around likes me. I could care less about what you think."

"Whatever. We don't have time for this." Taylor turns and gestures for me to follow him.

Clara laughs, confident as always. "Things won't change just because you're in a new place, Jude. You're still the same loser you were before."

Her words stab me hard in the chest and I quicken my pace. I've got to get out of here before I break down.

"Shut the fuck up!" Taylor yells back at her. "No one cares what you think!"

I'm almost to the main entrance when I hear her say one last thing from down the hallway.

"You two better watch what you say to me. The last thing you want to do is piss off a McIntyre!"