Chapter 15

I stand outside the apartment on Monday morning, shivering as I wait for Ross. We'll be driving together during the winter now. I'll have to think of a way to repay him.

His jeep pulls up exactly on time and I climb into the passenger seat. It's already warm and cozy.

"Thank you for picking me up."

"Thanks for keeping me company," he replies with a smile.

The drive to school is short, much faster than walking, but I like that I get to spend a little more time with Ross each day even if it's only a few minutes more.

I guess I'm lucky being able to spend so much time with the person I like.

I sigh as we get out of the car and walk to the building together. It would be so easy to have a relationship with him, I bet. We already see each other so often, in class, at lunch, and some days after school. But still, I'm not sure if I'm ready for the physical stuff that couples do. I'm nervous just thinking about it. My heart is pounding.

"See you after homeroom," says Ross, bringing me back to reality.

As I move through the crowded hallways I lock eyes for a moment with Gareth. I guess he's always been here, I just haven't noticed him. I don't really pay attention to people in my school, especially since I look down at the floor so often. There are some loud kids that stand out, but Gareth blends into the background. I would never have noticed him if he hadn't said something to me at the festival. He probably has never noticed me before either.

My classmates are starting to get antsy because of the winter break coming up. Unfortunately, we'll have projects to do over the holidays, but I'm looking forward to not having to go to school just as much as the rest of them are.

The last day before winter break eventually rolls around and my classes are more tedious than usual. At the end of the long, long day, I open my locker to gather up what I need for the break and freeze as a piece of paper falls out of it. Picking it up, my stomach turns. Three simple letters are written in black pen: DIE.

It's so unoriginal that I almost laugh, but the threat makes me shudder.

"What's that?"

I jump and shove the paper into my locker, turning to see Ross beside me. "D-Don't sneak up on me," I stammer.

Ross blinks at me in surprise. "Sorry. What did you just put away?"

"Notes," I say.

He doesn't look convinced. "Seemed like you were hiding something."

I look away from him and hurry to gather my books.

"Jude."

I shut my locker and force myself to smile at Ross. "What are you doing for Christmas?" I ask. We haven't really talked about the holidays much, but I hope he's not too busy. My dad and I visit relatives on Christmas Day but for the most part it's just the two of us.

He eyes me suspiciously. "My mom is dragging me to her boyfriend's house. You?"

"Visiting relatives."

Ross and I start walking towards the exit. "Are you okay?" he asks.

I nod quickly, but I feel sick. I know who sent me that note. Suddenly I remember Ross defending him, so oblivious to Jacob's true self.

My heart aches, but once again there is nothing I can do, and Ross will only get annoyed if I bring it up.

It's possible that if I tell him the real reasons why I'm so concerned, Ross will stay away from Jacob and finally listen to his real friends.