Chapter 6

I have an appreciation for literature, I pay attention in class, and I'm getting good grades so far, but apparently that's not enough for English.

Mrs. Alberts gestures for me to come over after class. "I wanted to talk to you about participating more in class. You're a very smart student but I don't think I've heard a single word out of you. I know you're new so I didn't pressure you to participate at first, but now we're over a month into the school year. I really need you to join in on class discussions."

I nod nervously, not sure what to say. I'll try? She gave me a similar speech the other day, but now she sounds more impatient.

"Tomorrow, I'll be expecting you to join in. Okay?"

I nod again, and wait to be dismissed.

She looks at me like she's studying me. "Or I may end up calling on you."

Nodding once more, I wonder why she won't just let me go. She's waiting for a real answer, I guess. "Got it," I manage to say, and she looks satisfied.

"You can go to your next class now."

I hurry away, frustrated and feeling embarrassed. She'll call on me if I don't participate tomorrow. I feel nauseous already.

In the hall I stop at my locker and put away my English books. I can't hate Mrs. Alberts for wanting me to participate. She's a teacher and that's part of her job, and I know I'm supposed to but that still doesn't make me any less upset. I wish they would just be patient with me. I just can't speak sometimes. Even when I have something good I could add to the discussion, I can't gather the courage or form the words.

I sigh and glance around. It's getting crowded as students switch classes. I move closer to my locker and wait for people to pass. No point in shoving through the crowd yet.

The halls start to clear and I'm about to go when I'm frozen in place by a familiar, dreaded sight.

Jacob.

I knew this moment would come, but I'm not prepared for it at all. How could I ever be?

Why is he even in the junior wing? I see him pull aside a pretty redhead and kiss her before she goes into a classroom. His girlfriend, I guess.

As he heads in my direction I quickly hide behind my locker door.

Please, please don't see me...

I'm sure he's getting closer but I can't see. I feel my heart pounding and I dare not move. I stay totally frozen in hopes that he won't notice me.

I feel sick to my stomach.

I think I've been holding my breath, but as he gets closer I start to freak out. I can hear him talking to someone. His voice is all too familiar, even if it's been over a year.

His voice is right behind me as he discusses some test with a friend. I'm sure he sees me. I'm absolutely terrified.

Just when I thought I was done with him, he just had to be here.

I feel myself shaking. So much for staying frozen.

Jacob's voice stops. I don't move a muscle.

"Jude."

I bite my tongue, because I want to cry out, but try not to react.

"That's you, isn't it?" He sounds annoyed.

God, I can't breathe. I'm going to run!

"Hey!" Jacob grabs my shoulder and pulls me around.

There he is, right in front of me. Face to face. I see people watching us as they pass.