Chapter 14

For the next few days, Ross and I sit at a different table from the others. He still hasn't made up with Taylor. They haven't even been speaking to each other in art class. Apparently Nadine and Evynne agree with Taylor that Ross has no business hanging out with someone who punched him, no matter what the situation was.

Ross probably knows that I'm on their side, not his, but I don't get mad at him like they do. He doesn't listen anyway.

Because I like Ross, it has felt really special having more time to chat with him one on one about art, life, and whatever else. He seems to smile more now but it's hard to tell how genuine it is.

I glance across the cafeteria towards our old table, wondering when their fight is going to end.

"They'll get over it eventually," Ross mutters, following my gaze.

I'm not sure if they will. I certainly won't. "How long have you been friends?"

Ross smiles a little, but only for a second. "Since the beginning of freshman year, so all of high school."

"Oh, wow. You must know each other really well, then," I say, slightly envious.

He shrugs. "Yeah, we do."

I wonder how long Ross will keep his distance from them. They're only trying to look out for him and make sure he doesn't get hurt again.

"So," I say after a bit. "A while ago someone mentioned going to the winter festival in town, but now you're not really talking to them, so..."

"We can still go, if you want."

I'm not sure how I'll feel if there are crowds of people, but I'm curious and want to check it out. If Ross is with me and there are people around, I don't think Jacob or anyone would hurt me.

"Okay," I say.

"I can come by and pick you up on Saturday."

"Wouldn't it be easier to just meet in town?"

"It's more fun to walk together. It's not really out of my way." Ross smiles. "By the way, now that it's colder, you're not going to keep walking to school, are you?"

I blink at him, confused. "Why?"

"Because it's cold, of course. I'm probably going to drive now instead of walking. I can pick you up if you want."

"Oh, you don't have to..."

"I don't mind, really. I don't want you to freeze."

I can feel myself blushing. It feels nice being thought of, and I'll get to spend more time with him. "Okay, thank you."

By the time Saturday comes, I'm still a little nervous about it. When Ross comes to the door I hurry outside as I wrap my scarf around my neck.

"Hey," he says, smiling.

I return his smile, then follow him down the stairs.

As we walk into town, I start to feel more excited. Even if it's crowded, it's nice having somewhere to go and people to be with. I never would have gone to this sort of thing last year.

I smell something sweet and my gaze wanders towards a kettle corn vendor. I want to buy some, until I remember that places like this require human interaction. I still can't always talk to people easily, so sometimes it's better to avoid the situation altogether. I sigh internally and stick close to Ross as we walk.

"Apple cider?" he asks a few minutes later.

"Okay."

I follow him to the stand and get out my wallet.