Chapter 3

My phone has a new message but I don't feel like dealing with it until I'm done all my homework and done making pasta for dinner. Pasta will last us a while, and my dad seems satisfied with it so I go right to my room after dinner and relax.

He's used to me being quiet around the apartment and doesn't question me when I say I'm going to my room.

Still, before I can get 5 minutes alone he pushes open my door. "Can you pick up milk and eggs? I've gotta finish up some work."

I nod and get a light jacket. I don't want to go out, but I can't exactly refuse. My dad doesn't have time to run errands most days.

As I walk down to the general store, I pull my phone out and read the text message.

Hey, how are you doing?

I look at the time. It's only 8 now and I doubt he's asleep yet, so I reply.

I'm okay. You?

I'm alright, but I was a bit worried about you after today.

I'm sorry, I just wasn't feeling well.

I sigh to myself, nearing the store. I doubt Ross will believe me, but he already knows I'm a freak. I don't talk much, after all. I'm unnaturally shy.

Even now, I'm feeling nervous just passing people on the street. The town seems pretty safe, but you never know.

I pull open the door and quickly get the milk and the eggs... or was it bread? I don't even remember, so I get all three.

I hope you're feeling better now. What are you up to?

Reading his text warms my heart a little. He's a nice person, and this is the first time he's really texted me about something other than the video production project. We actually have a group chat with Sally and Wade for that. Looking for me earlier doesn't count either. The fact that he texted me to ask how I'm doing is really nice of him.

I was just getting milk in town. You?

Not much. Kinda hungry. Wanna meet up at Benny's?

I think that's a diner around here, but I can't remember where. I'm not so sure about that. My dad probably won't want me out late... but it's a Friday night so it's not like I have school tomorrow.

Hanging out outside of school though... That's something I haven't done since middle school, maybe... when I actually had a few friends.

I feel really conflicted, but Ross is the closest thing I have to a friend around here. He's been great. I don't know why he's nice to me when I'm such a weirdo who barely even speaks, but maybe I should put in more effort and be nicer back.

Sure, but I have to stop home first.

I hope he doesn't expect me to make conversation.

I drop off the groceries at home and my dad lets me go. He seems just as surprised as I am that I have someone to hang out with but just tells me to be back at a reasonable hour.

A half hour later, I've found my way to the diner where Ross is waiting outside.

It's still warm out but there is a little bit of an autumn breeze. He's got on a black leather jacket and I wish I could pull off something cool like that.

"I was thinking we could get some fries to go. You probably already ate dinner, right?" he asks, smiling as he opens the door.

I follow him inside after giving him a nod.

"It's really crowded in here anyway."

I don't ask where we're going as we get an order of spicy fries and two sodas. The streetlights have come on now and more people seem to be out and about.