Chapter 10

**Jude's writing is bold, and Ross's writing is underlined**

I'm getting really sick of school, to the point where I'm just as tired as I am scared. In the morning, I stay in my bed as long as possible until my dad starts pressuring me to get up. If I miss another day, he'll definitely drag me to the doctor.

My eyes still feel sore, so I blame that on not getting enough sleep when he looks at me funny.

I try to keep myself calm and focus on my breathing as I hurry through the halls and find my seat in homeroom.

On my way to Art, I see my drawings hanging in the hallway along with a few others from my class. I do feel proud of myself, but I also feel exposed. At least my name isn't on the front.

When I reach the door, I can feel my heart pounding. I thought I was over being nervous for Art. I have friends in this class.

Ross still doesn't seem like himself when I go over to our table. He's alone, looking frustrated as he picks at the corner of an empty page in his sketchbook.

I didn't talk to him much at all yesterday. He's been quiet. He smiles a bit when people talk to him, but his heart isn't in it. I don't know what's going on.

I take a hesitant seat next to him and he gives me a smile. That makes me feel a bit better. He's happy to see me, I think.

Then he frowns. "Your eyes are red."

"Allergies," I say.

Ross watches me for a moment and then sighs.

That makes me nervous. I don't know how to ask him what's wrong, so I take out my sketchbook and open it to a clean page so I can write.

Are you okay? You don't seem like yourself.

Ross looks at my note as I slide it over, then takes out his pen.

Yes, I'm just tired.

He doesn't look just tired to me.

Are you sure? Do you want to talk about it?

Not right now.

I frown and look at him with concern.

Ross looks less annoyed now. The small smile he gives me shows that he's glad I care, but I can tell he doesn't want to talk about his own problems.

I continue to write as class starts.

Sorry, I just worry about you.

I worry about you too.

Looking up from the note, I see his serious expression.

I know, and thanks. I'm okay. I just get nervous sometimes.

No need to apologize. You get nervous really easily, don't you?

I sigh softly at his writing. This wasn't supposed to be about me.

I do. It's embarrassing.

Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure you have your reasons.

Yeah, I can't help it.

I wish you would tell me why.

Tell me about you first.