Chapter 11 - Hadley

I turned around to make the hot chocolate that was ordered, about to finish my shift at the café. Considering it was late on a Thursday and admissions seemed to schedule everyone for early classes on Fridays, we were hosting mainly the general public. Except of course the odd few that stayed out late no matter what time their first classes were the next day, namely my friend Melissa.

"Mel, it's almost 10:00 on a Thursday night and I know that you have an 8am class tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Brad will like psycho morning bitch o your best bet is to avoid that side of you at all costs," I said as I handed the cup over to her. She stared blankly at me. "In other words, I suggest you get your ass to bed."

"If he can't handle me at my worst, then he doesn't deserve me at my best," she countered with  smirk. "Plus, you haven't told me about your date. So until I get the details of what went on, I'm going to keep you here until wee hours of the morning."

"We're not open until said wee hours, and it's more commission cash in my pocket so by all means stay as long as you want."

"Tell me."

I sighed in slight frustration at my best friend. "Mel, you called me last night and asked the same question. And I told you all what happened."

She groaned. "You have to have known I wouldn't be satisfied with what you gave me as an answer."

"Then I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help." I turned to wipe off the counter beside my register and help another couple out with what they wanted. As soon as they paid, I went back to where I left Mel only to find her in the exact same spot as when I had left her, staring at me expectantly.

"You want the play by play?" She nodded enthusiastically. "Fine. I brought him out to Trish's ice cream place and when the table got quiet, we used the 21 questions app that I have on my phone to create conversation. Abut 10 minutes later, Monty called and said I had to pick up a couple of the boys from their soccer game, so he came with me. We went to the park and played Frisbee until he got a call that I don't think he was happy with.

"So he had to leave and I took the boys home too. But before we left, he asked me if I would go out with him again. I said sure, he tried to kiss me, I didn't let him and that's the end of the day." I took a deep breath at the end of my analysis. "I'm sure he told Brad all about it so you can always f=run a confirmation by him if you really want to."

She stared at me. "I'm sorry, what the hell do you mean you didn't let him kiss you?"

I rolled my eyes. "You're looking for details and that's the only part you listened to," I mumbled more to myself than to her. I grabbed a towel from under the counter and headed around to the lounge area and started wiping down the tables.

"No I heard the rest of it, but naturally that being the only action that happened on this boring date you tell me of is going to kinda stick out in my head," she retorted. "I mean, you've already been with him so why would you...you know what? Never mind. You are going out with him again though right?"

"I said I would, and he said he was going to call me but I haven't heard anything yet."

"So why don't you call him?" she suggested. I stared at her across the table I was in the middle of wiping down. she raider her arms in surrender. "Right, I know. You don't date so you don't know what to do. Well let me give you some advice, you should probably say something. He's a guy, he's going to wait until the last minute. And trust me when I say this, waiting for a guy who waits last minute is a waste of time."

At that moment, my phone went off in my back pocket. I pulled it out to see that I had a text from Seek sitting unread on the screen. I looked up at Mel and she gestured for me to open it with wide, excited eyes. I slid my finger across the screen and my phone opened to reveal the message.