Chapter 36 - Hadley

I never knew why they told you that you had to show up to the airport 4 hours before your flight. I mean, most of it is spent waiting and doing absolutely nothing anyways. It's not like checking your bags and getting through security actually takes 4 hours. Luckily for me, I made sure I had things to do while I waited. I finished the song I'd started previously and created a melody for another song in the future. I played a shit ton of games on my phone and even read some of the new Stephen King novel that had come out. So I was actually pretty productive in the time I spent sitting in an extremely uncomfortable chair at the airport. Not many people could say that.

Regardless of how productive I'd been, there had come the point where I was restless no matter how much was at my exposure to do. I mean, usually writing songs would satisfy me to no end, but under the current circumstances, it wasn't doing shit. Maybe it was the excitement of going to Italy in less than a few hours. Or maybe it was the disappointment that the one man I'd almost professed to love was getting married to someone else at the exact same moment. Or it could also be that I was leaving Monty and the boys, who had been my rocks for as long as I could remember. It would only be 10 days, but it was longer than I'd ever gone without seeing at least one of them. I'd be lying to myself if I said it wasn't going to be hard.

Within the 4 hours that I'd sat in the airport chairs, the wedding had popped into my thoughts ever once in a while. I couldn't help it—I'd an invitation to it just a few days ago. It hurt enough to find out that the whole time he was dating me, he'd already been committed to another girl. But it felt like more of a stab in the heart when I opened the letter addressed to me to find that he wanted me to be a guest at the wedding. He wanted me to sit in the crowd and watch him give his hand—the hand that held mine with so much compassion just weeks before—to another woman. The one he truly loved.

I physically shook my head, trying to get rid of the thoughts of the wedding, and of his wife to be. Of him in general. It was literally driving me crazy. It was almost as if I could hear his voice behind me.

"I need to get on that flight!"

Wait, what?

"I'm telling you right now that there is someone getting on that plane that I need to see. Just let me through to go and talk to her."

As much as I wished it was as simple as saying I was indeed going crazy, I could pick that voice out of anywhere.

"Listen kid, this isn't the scene of some tragic romance," a security guard was saying. "I'm going to at least need to see some ID to let you through here. The plane is boarding now so we can't just let anyone through." There was silence for a moment and then a gasp. "I'm so sorry your majesty. Please go ahead."

"Yeah, whatever. Hadley?"

As in me Hadley?

"Hadley, I can see you and I know you hear me."

I scrunched up my face in confusion and turned around to see Zeek actually standing there behind me, holding my guitar. He was still wearing his suit from the wedding, but he didn't have the I-just-got-married glow. He looked almost distressed.

"Sorry, I didn't know I had to RSVP if I wasn't going to show up at all," I said, crossing my rams over my chest.

"I'm not here about that," he said taking the few steps so that he was standing right in front of me now.

"Then what are you here for? Shouldn't you be off to your honeymoon with your new wife?"

"I am, we're going to Italy for 10 days."

"Damn, I was really looking forward to that trip, now I'm going to have to cancel it and beg Monty for forgiveness."

"Oh come on Hadley, it was a joke. Do you see her anywhere around here?" I glared at him. "Too soon, I get it. But seriously. I didn't marry her. And I was told to make sure you got this. Collin was very upset that you left it at home."