Chapter 22 - Zeek

The whole way to the restaurant in town, Hadley was included in any conversation that was going on in the back seat. Austin seemed really proud to call Hadley his sister and was almost showing her off to Darien. It was really cute to see. And I could tell by the way he talked to her and made sure to include her in everything he said, he was really into the girl. Watching them together in the back made me wish that my parents had given me younger siblings so that I could do stuff like this for them. However, tradition stood in the way of everything with my parents; always has and probably always will.

We reached the restaurant and we all got out and headed inside. When we got into the waiting area, the kids sat down on the bench while Hadley and I went to the hostess to get tables. "Is Mark working tonight?" Hadley asked when we got to the stand.

"I believe he is," the hostess replied.

"Could I speak with him for a minute?"

"Of course, I'll just go get him for you." The hostess disappeared for a moment around the corner and came back with a guy who looked about our age by her side. I vaguely remembered Hadley and Mel hanging out with him at the party that we went to the first night I met her.

"Hey Hadley," the guy said walking up and giving her a quick hug. "Long time no see, what's going on?"

"School and Zeek, you?"

"Work and school and a new girlfriend."

"Another one?"

"I'm keeping this one." He said then laid eyes on me. "Hey man," he nodded.

"Hey," I replied.

"Anyways, what did you need?" Mark asked turning his attention back to Hadley.

"Austin, one of the kids I babysit, is sitting over there with a little wheel that he's got going on from school. Zeek and I are chaperoning their first date. The only problem is that they've requested separate tables but I don't want to be too far away from them. Do you have 2 tables that you're waiting free?"

He glanced over onto the floor plan that was laid out on the stand in front of the hostess. "I have 2 booths that are across the floor from each other, does that work? There are flowing tables in between but they're far enough apart that they will have their privacy but close enough that you can see them."

"Perfect."

"Cool. Hey Jane, can you put these two and the two kids at 62 and 63 for me?"

"Of course," the hostess replied. "If you guys would just follow me, and I can get you seated."

"Come on guys, we got our tables," Hadley said beckoning the kids to follow her.

On our way behind the hostess, Hadley was stopped by Austin. She leaned down so she could hear whatever he was trying to say to her and then nodded with a big smile on her face. He hugged her and ran to catch up with Darien who was only a few steps in front of me. When Hadley fell back into step with me, I took her hand in mine and pulled her closer so I could lean down to her ear.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"He's so cute," she said giddily. "He just asked me if I could give him the money before they're done so it can look like he's paying for their dinner."

"That's adorable."

"And romantic. You could learn a thing or two from him, you know."

"There's also quite a few things I could teach him about how to get his girl off."

"Keep it PG, Zeek. They're 11."

"I was talking about getting her flowers and feeding her bites of his food. Get you're mind out of the gutter Hadley."