My sleepover for two is gatecrashed (and no one is suprised).

Chapter 7-

Ten minutes later the doorbell rang.

'Laura! Finally!' I thought. I went over to the door and opened it. There, on my doorstep, was C. Or rather, Carter. I slammed the door in his face.

'Go. Away!' I said, breathing hard.

'Come on, Sophia. I left something behind. Just open the door.' Carter answered, sounding sincere. Which he obviously wasn't.

'Leave me alone, Carter!' I screamed, reaching for the gun he had given me.

There was silence, then laughter. But not the happy kind. The 'I'm a psycho!' kind. 'You finally worked it out, did you? Well done. Gold star for the girl. Now let me ask you a question. Why do you think I kept you alive? After all, you know I want you dead. This world isn't what you think it is, Sophia. They've lied to you. Only I know the truth.'.

It was official. I had a psychopath at my door, messing with my mind. For a few seconds, I actually believed him. I mean, I believed someone who might want me dead!

'I'll shoot you!' I screamed. After all, bravery never hurt anyone. Wait. It did. Stupid.

'All I want is to come in. I won't touch you or your stuff. Plus, bullets won't hurt me. Just let me in. I don't want to hurt anyone. Well, I do, but not you. So, if you value your life, open the stupid door.'. He managed to say this calmly and resonably. It would've been funny if I wasn't so scared.

I opened the door, clutching my gun.

Carter raised an eyebrow. 'A welcoming party? You shouldn't have. Now, get out my way.'.

I stepped aside, my gun still pointing right at him. 'Get out of my house.'.

Carter sighed. 'So repetitive. Can't you think up anything original? Ah, there it is.'. On the floor there was a piece of paper, with a symbol of a snake biting it's own tail on it. Carter picked it up.

I took a step closer.

Carter turned to me. 'Alright, alright. I'm going. Sheesh!'. He walked over to the door. I still had my gun pointed at his back. He grinned, one last time, like a cheshire cat, then disappeared. My gun was still pointing to where he had once been.

And who should be there, right where Carter was a few seconds before, but Laura.

She raised he eyebrow. 'Is this really necessary?' she asked.

'Never mind. Carter's fault. Come on in.' I said, leading her in. I tidied up the couch a bit, then we both sat down, and I explained my story.

'Let's go back over this. You let CARTER into your house?' Laura screeched at me. 'You could've been killed!'.

I decided to explain before I had to put up with more angry stares. 'But I wasn't. Plus, he helped me. He gave me something to protect myself with.'.

Laura grunted, obviously not happy about having to face the facts. 'Fine. But if I was going to teach you, I wouldn't have hired someone who looked like a member of the blond mafia.'.

'Does it look like I knew that? Plus, I didn't send for you to make me feel like an idiot!'.

'I know. You sent for me to make you feel better.'.

'Well, right now it feels like it was a stupid idea!'.

Laura sighed. 'Fine. I'm sorry. Now, what do want to do?'.

I, quite honestly, had no idea. 'Dunno. Do you have any ideas?'.

'Oh, I have one.' She grinned. And I was suddenly very scared. She took something out from her pocket. It was a crystal, that looked transparent when Laura held it, but when Laura passed it to me it became opaque.

'Look closer. What do you see?' Laura asked. I stared deeper into the crystal. I saw darkness creeping over one side of the crystal, and a milky white substance making its way over the other side. They reached the centre at the exact same time, then froze.

'There's a dark side and a light side. They meet in the middle, then stop moving completly.' I replied, even though it seemed pretty obvious to me.

Laura started to smile. 'Are you sure? Is it the exact middle?' she asked.

I was suddenly feeling confused. I mean, it was pretty obvious. Was Laura trying some kind of mind trick? 'Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Why?'.

'The crystal is a test to see if you're better suited to black magic, or light magic. If there is more darkness or light, that means you're suited to the type that there's more of. If they meet in the middle you can learn either magic just as well. We call those people shadow, or umbra mages.'.

'Okaaaay. Is there any reason I find that confusing?'.

'Nope. So, what style magic do you want to learn?'.

'Wait. There are STYLES now?!?!?! What does that even mean?'.

Laura sighed. 'You know. Like necromancy, illusions, elemental magic or wall walking. Which is, strangely, unpopular. They're divided into black magic and light magic, but there are a few that can't be classified. Those go into the umbra category'.

'Still confused. But never mind. What does necromancy go under?'.

Laura seemed a bit irritated when I asked her that. 'Umbra, usually. Although it's death magic, which should go under black magic, some necromancers use their abilities to comfort people when a loved one has died or even to revive them and let them live a normal life. Carter hates them, but we aren't sure why.'.

Now I started to smile. 'Carter hates it, you say.'. I think I just discovered what magic I want to wield.