The importance of secrets (and styrofoam).

We both found out pretty fast that the cage didn't actually have a lock on it, which meant that Arex's keys were pretty much a dud. Fail. Thankfully, James had an idea on what to do next.

'Look, I highly doubt that your sword is going to cut through a steel cage, even if it is charmed.' I said.

'You haven't even let me try yet!' James replied.

Then, just to spite me (I think), he raised his sword and swung it against the cage's bars. They broke away.

'Wow.' I said. 'How sharp is that sword?'.

'Not very. Look at the cage.' James answered, obviously a bit irritated with me.

I looked at it closely. 'Styrofoam? We could have broken that any time! Why would he had trapped Christina in a cage made from styrofoam, of all things?'.

'This place used to manufacture it, before it closed down.' James explained. 'And we couldn't have broken it at any time. Arex probably charmed it, so that it would be as hard as steel, or the like. When you knocked him out, you cut off the spell. Simple.'.

'Not for me.'.

'Never is.'. James picked up Christina, and flung her over his shoulder. She was still unconcious. 'So, how far away's your house?'.

The answer? Not too far when you're sprinting to save your sister, and not any further when you're carrying her on your back. But my, does it feel longer.

'So, James,' I said, looking for a good conversation starter. 'You mentioned you knew Carter?'.

He continued to look ahead. 'Firstly, don't call me James. I ditched that name ages ago. And yes, I do know Carter. He's the reason I actually know about all this stuff.'.

'Explain.'.

'Well........ Oh fine. I was seven. He set some creatures on me. He pretended to save my life, then taught about black magic in all of a minute. He also made me corrupted by it. I turned evil. I'm wasn't some hero, like back there. I was a complete psychopath. So many people died because of me. Then I died. Then I got brought back to life. Ever since, I've been trying to make up for it.'.

'Are you sure you're not explaining some really complicated tv show?' I asked.

'Yeah. The life of Pitch Arrows isn't exactly a good movie name. Actually, Pitch Arrows isn't a good name in general. But I was young when I picked it. Cut me some slack.'.

I was too busy snorting with laughter at his name to respond. 'Pitch? Seriously?'.

'Yeah, well. It sounds more evil then James North.'.

'O.M.G. YOU'RE James North??!?'.

'Wow. You've been part of this world for what, three days? And you already know about me?'.

'Barely. Laura mentioned you to me once. Laura Arwen. You may have heard of her.'.

'I have. Do you know where she is?' he asked.

'Nope. Sorry. I can call her, though.'. '

No.'. He sounded scared, which was a bit irritating. Who here was getting chased by psychopaths?.

'C'mon. She's awesome. You'd get along great.' I said, reaching for my mobile. He grabbed my wrist, hard. I nearly screamed from the pain, but looking at Pitch's face, I didn't. He didn't look scared anymore, like prey hiding from a predator. He looked like the predator.

'No one knows about me. Okay? You can ask her. She'd probably know a lot about me, but you don't tell her where I am, or that you saw me. This. Stays. Secret.'. Then James, Pitch or whatever he called himself disappeared, with my sister. Meanie.

I walked home, extremely annoyed with Pitch. Actually, James. No one that irritating deserves to pick what I call them. He just ran off with my sister (who was STILL unconscious). I walked into the house and there, on the couch, unconscious, was Christina.

There was a note next to her.

What? You think I'd kidnap her after saving her? What would be the point? Trust me.

-Pitch Arrows.

And his name was still as stupid as ever.