Twenty ight

Twenty eight

   “I wish there was someone else we could see,” I mutter - ignoring the filthy looks I get from Drew’s people.

   Monroe shakes his head. “If you know anyone else – please go ahead and tell me.”

   “You know I don’t,” I grumble.

   “Well stop complaining.” 

   I glance at him out of the corner of my eye – pleased to find that he doesn’t look too keen on the idea of seeing Drew once more.

   “You again,” a gruff voice, slightly familiar and all too annoying – I turn to see a familiar rat faced vampire.

   “Yes, me again.”

   “And you brought a snot-nosed brat!” He hisses. “Why?”

   The ‘snot-nosed brat’ gives him such a disconcerting look that he starts slightly and instantly returns his attention to us.

   “Is it any of your business?” Monroe growls, his dislike of this vampire obvious.

   “It is when it concerns Drew,” he snaps.

   “We were sent by the Pixie Queen,” I say simply, patience wearing thin.

   “What does that bitch want now?!” He snarls.

   “I’d be careful what you call my mother Leech,” Nikki hisses and I inwardly slap her.

   I give her a filthy look. Does she want to get herself killed?

   “Wait – you’re her daughter?” The Vampire’s eyes widen and his jaw drops slightly.

   “Yes.” 

   He swallows visibly. “Uh, I – I was joking about what I – I said about the Queen.”

   She gives him a nasty smile. “Sure you were.”

   His eyes revert back to Monroe and I. “I’m sure Drew will be able to see you both now.”

   “Good.” I smile.

   As we walk through the door, I turn to glance at Nikki; she’s staring at the Vampire. She pauses to lean in.

   “I never forget a face.” She whispers and then she continues to walk after us.

   I smirk slightly as the Vampires rat-like face twists with fear, his already pale, leathery skin seeming to take on a grey tone. Now that’s how you do it.