Thirty one

Thirty one

   I wake slowly, my head fuzzy and heavy. I open my eyes but the darkness doesn’t recede, just remains there; heavy and un-moving.

   I sit upright with a groan, a thumping resounding through my head. It takes me a few seconds to remember exactly what happened, but once I do, a familiar burn settles in my bones.

   “Monroe?” I whisper and then mentally slap myself for whispering. 

   “Monroe?” My voice is louder, stronger but hoarse and croaky.

   “He’s not here.” 

   I flinch at the words and instantly I’m on my feet, ready to fight off whoever it is. However this doesn’t go entirely as planned and I sway slightly, almost falling flat on my face.

   A hand on my arm keeps me upright and I jerk out of the grip. 

   “Who are you?” I ask breathlessly.

   “I’m the Faun from before,” he replies quietly.

   “What?” I snap, enraged, fighting the sudden urge to attack the shrouded figure.

   “I’m sorry – I had to do what I did. I didn’t have a choice.”

   “What do you mean?” I bark.

   “I was being blackmailed by Drusilla. I didn’t have a choice. I’m sorry.”

   “Raarrgghhh!” I let out a roar of frustration, stomping my foot. “I cannot believe this! Do you know where they went?”

   “I’m... I’m not supposed to say,” he replies quietly.

   “I’ll make you a deal,” I snarl threateningly. “You tell me where they are and I won’t kill you.”

   Hesitation. I let out a groan of frustration. 

   “At least tell me where Monroe is for god’s sake. Or are you not allowed to tell me that too?”

   “Actually, she wanted me to tell you that. She took Monroe with her – she said that if you come after her, she’ll hurt him.”

   “Damn bitch!” I snarl, barely able to bite back of the twisting hatred cutting through my gut. “I’ll kill her! I’ll god-damn kill her!”

   Finally, unable to just stand there and do nothing whilst this fury bubbles within my gut, making it difficult to form words – I turn to the Faun.

   I can barely see him in the darkness, just the outline of his body – he’s simply a dark shadow against a darker world.

   With a furious yell, I launch myself at him. I hit the damn Faun and he lets out a bleat of surprise. We hit the ground and roll – and I’m surprised when he puts up a good fight.

   Most Fauns are pacifists – but I should have realised he’s different from others. After all, he allowed himself to get involved with Demons, Vampires and a damn Incubus.

   I end up on top of him; his arms pinned on either side. He lets out a noise – and I’m not sure whether it’s another bleat or a growl. I don’t really care.

   “You can either tell me where they went, or I will kill you. You have less than three seconds to decide,” I snarl into his face.

   “You don’t have a weapon! I could fight you off and escape!” He murmurs; his voice hoarse.

   “I don’t need a weapon to snap your neck,” I reply quietly, my voice frightening myself a little.

   “You would do that?” He gasps.

   “Monroe taught me something. He taught me that not all of you... things... are all that bad. He taught me not to just kill you all on sight. Tell me where I can find him.”

   He takes in a deep, slow breath, no longer fighting me, just lying there limply. “I’ll do one better. I’ll take you there.”