Twenty nine

Twenty nine

   “Nikki darling!” Drew coos in a surprisingly soft voice.

   Before I can stop her, Nikki darts forward, throwing herself into the Incubus’ arms. Monroe and I share a look of disbelief.

   “Drew – I don’t want to do it! I don’t want to!” She cries as she clings to the moth-like Drew.

   Drew pulls back and holds her at arm’s length – and once more surprises me with the amount of warmth in her eyes. 

   “I know you don’t want to do this honey – trust me, I do know... but you have to.”

   “I don’t want to get married to some Witch though!” She growls.

   Drew brushes hair back from her face and smiles faintly, her brow creased. “I know that you don’t like Witches – but that’s just how you’ve been brought up. I bet you’ll grow to like him.”

   “But...” Her lower lips trembles slightly but then she lets out a tiny sigh and nods her head.

   Drew stands, hand dropping to her sides as she takes both Monroe and I in, eyes sweeping over us.

   “I’m pretty sure I can handle it from here,” she states simply. “You can go.”

   “Wait, what?” I gape at her.

   “What are you talking about?” Monroe asks, sounding suspicious suddenly.

   “I know Nikki better than her own mother knows her. I will take care of her and make sure she gets to her destination. You can go now.”

   “No. I don’t think we will. The Queen told us we would have to take her to them and that you would help us – not that you would take over,” I reply, eyes narrowed.

   Despite how I would love to say yes and just go home, I can’t. I have to stick this out to the end – this is my end of the deal. I have to keep it.

   “But you don’t need to!” Drew snaps.

   “But we are. You heard her. We’re a part of this,” Monroe growls forcefully.

   Drew and Nikki share a fleeting look and instantly, I feel suspicion grow within me and I find my eyes squinting slightly.

   “Fine. Whatever – but we’re leaving later tonight.”

   “How come?” I ask instantly.

   “Because I would like to spend some time with Nikki first.”

   “As long as you don’t mind us staying with you,” I smile sweetly.

   Now it’s her eyes that narrow, her eyes flickering like twin flames. “I would like some privacy.”

   “That’s a shame,” Monroe crosses his arms over his chest. “I don’t know what game you’re playing Drew – but I want it to end now.”

   “Game?” She laughs; a smooth flowing noise that echoes around us. “I’m playing no game. I’ve known Nikki a long time and I rarely get to see her, I just want to catch up some.”

   “Well, like I said, we’ll be staying with you the entire time,” I reply simply, taking up a familiar stance to Monroe.

   She makes a noise of annoyance and disgust and nods her head in one jerky movement. “As you wish... Seeker.”

   Monroe is obviously annoyed at the fact that she doesn’t mention him but keeps it down low, the only notable change being the slight tensing of his body.

   Drew claps her hands suddenly, almost making me jump in surprise. She smiles, a slow wicked curve of her lips – that mocking smile makes me itch to wipe it away.

   Within a second, a Vampire is at her side, thankfully one different from Rat Face. She stands tall and willowy with a sombre, serious look in her empty eyes.

   “Darcy – set up dinner for tonight,” Drew’s eyes gleam as they settle momentarily on Monroe and I. “We’re going to have a feast.”