Thirty Five

Thirty five

   I stumble backwards slightly, finding myself entirely covered with darkness. I blink.

   “Poor Seeker – she looks confused,” the Demon scoffs – the Demon whose name is apparently called Malik.

   “Shut up,” I bark. “How come it’s so dark? It wasn’t this dark before.”

   He shrugs. “We’re in the woods – the trees block out the light.”

   I can almost hear the ‘duh’ coming afterwards. I choose to ignore it and instead whirl around in a full circle, just coming up with trees, trees and more damn trees.

   “Which way?” I ask, feeling more and more lost and confused.

   “You’re the Seeker – do your thing,” Malik tuts.

   I roll my eyes and close my eyes, trying to concentrate. I don’t know what to focus on at first. Drew? Nikki? I end up settling on the obvious choice.

   Monroe.

   Thinking of him makes me warm from head to toes. His hair, his stubble, his smile and love for beer. Bud wiser’s his favourite.

   I feel my body stiffen when suddenly it’s like I can feel a wash of power moving through me.

   “This way!” I almost shout and then wince as my voice echoes.

   They both follow behind quietly mumbling to one another about something – at this point, I don’t care because all I can feel, all I can sense is Monroe. He’s close.

   And with him, there will be Drew and Nikki.

   And we’re just one step closer to this nightmare being over and done with.

   I stumble through a very large and thorny hedge and find myself  standing on a raised area – and down below stands Drew.

   Not on her own of course – she has Nikki at her side and about six guards. Less than I thought – someone’s feeling awfully confident.

   I shush both Malik and Thane. Kind of a weird name for a Faun, I thought but right now – I don’t honestly care all that much.

   I watch as she stalks towards the back of a sleek black van and throws open the doors. She leans forward, grabs something and walking agily backwards, pulling it along – a black rope type thing.

   “Bitch!”

   I can’t help my snarl as I see what’s on the end of the rope – Monroe.

   He looks out of it, stumbling along as she tugs on the rope which is connected to a black collar around her neck.

   “Boyfriend?” Malik scoffs.

   “Shut up,” I whisper fiercely.

   “He’s a Werewolf.”

   “Blue-Blood,” I correct.

   He laughs quietly and it sounds almost hysterical. “Oh my god. This is priceless – your boyfriend is a Werewolf, seriously?”

   “Blue-Blood,” I correct again, refusing to react to his words, to show how annoyed I’m becoming just by his presence.

   “So how long are we going to sit up here?” He asks suddenly.

   “Not for much longer…” I twist my head to glare at him, suspicious suddenly. “Why are you still here?”

   “Why not?” He flashes a grin.

   “Because you don’t need to be here.”

   “How are you planning on rescuing your boyfriend? Just going to throw yourself in there, am I right?”

   I scowl at him silently – because that’s exactly what I intend to do.

   “I haven’t had a good fight in so long – I’m staying,” he replies eagerly.

   “No, just go,” I order.

   “No,” he laughs.

“Yes,” I bark.

“You guys don’t have time to argue,” Thane murmurs. “They’re getting ready to board the ferry.”

I glance across to find Drew leaning way too close to Monroe – practically plastering herself over him. She strokes a finger down his cheek and he tries to twist his head away – and she digs her nail into the skin of his cheek.

I glare as he winces, thick red blood trickling down his cheek. Anger bubbles through my skin, makes it impossible to think for a second.

“We doing this?” Malik asks.

“Yes,” I pause. “We’re doing it now.”