Seven

Seven

    “You’re going out already?” Janine asks quietly.

   I nod my head silently, sliding my sword into its holster. 

   “Nice sword – where’d you get it from?’”

   I turn to her and raise an eyebrow. “A friend.”

   “A friend?”

   “We’re not the only Seekers out there, you do realise that right?”

   She bites her lip. “Mum always told us not to converse with the others.”

   “That’s only because she pissed them off,” I shrug.

   She pulls a face. “What?”

   I nod, a smug little smile playing its way across my face.

   “Oh, she didn’t tell you? I guess that means she’s kept two things from you now. Odd that, huh?”

   She glares at me, a furious look twisted in her eyes.

   “She didn’t tell me about the poison because she was protecting me.”

   My smile grows. “Aw, little Janine, she needs to be protected by mummy.”

   She snarls something incoherent and leaps at me. We land in a tangle of limbs, jabbing and kicking at one another.

   “If I can get to my sword – I’m chopping your bloody head off!” I snap as she twists my arm around.

   “Yeah, just try it!”

   I kick her and she flies backwards. She stands in one fluid movement and I watch as her muscles tighten visibly as she struggles to not attack again.

   I tilt my head slightly, a smile spreading.

   “Mummy!” Adam calls from the other room.

   She looks confused for a moment, as if unsure of where she is. I almost laugh at the lost expression.

   “Bitch,” she snaps and turns to leave the room.

   As soon as she’s gone, I dust myself down, heart rate a little wild but otherwise good. Taking a deep breath and trying to put on a calm expression, I follow her out.