Seventeen

Seventeen

   “Mum?” I call out gently.

   She’s sitting in a slightly upright position, facing the window. Her hair is pulled into a ponytail to the right of her head. She seems completely out of it, staring off into nothing.

   “Mum?” I repeat with more force.

   “You stink,” she whispers; her voice filled with distaste.

   “Wha – what?” I blanch.

   “I was wondering how you could be doing all this. When you told me you were doing it yourself – I believed you, how stupidly.”

   My palms grow slick and I refuse to move from the door – if I need an exit and quickly, this is my best bet. I know she knows.

   “Mum... I did do it on my own, I –“

   Before I can continue, she picks up the vase sitting beside her bed filled with various flowers. She throws it at me at hard as she can.

   “I know you’re lying!” She screams.

   My hand shoots out automatically and catches the vase – flowers intact.

   “I’m not lying,” I whisper.

   She shakes her head, turning away from me again. “A Werewolf of all things. I should have known but... I was too weak to get it before.”

   “Mum, he’s a Blue-Blood, not just some Werewolf, he’s saved me –“

   “Oh so because he’s saved you that makes him special, right? What are you, in love with him? It wouldn’t be the first time you falling in love has lost us, would it?”

   I can feel the anger threatening to spill out – like some kind of deadly acid. “I never knew that Timmy was a Vampire, okay? You didn’t either.”

   “Not until Timmy bit you, huh? Good thing I was around to save you then – just like the wolf, huh?” She snaps.

   “Yes, mum, you’ve saved me plenty of times, I know – I made plenty of mistakes... but this isn’t one! He’s a good man!”

   “A good man!” She mimics.

   The anger throws itself out of me. In the reflection of the window, my eyes are twin flames – burning with anger and hatred.

   “You know what? You can rot in hell you self-entered bitch! I was trying to help you but... again it’s not good enough! I’m through with you.”

   I throw the vase to the ground, turn and walk away, the sound of shattering glass echoing around my head.