Thirty four

Thirty four

   I let out a roar and charge at him, suddenly letting out years of anger and humiliation. 

   As soon as I reach him, he dances fluently out of the way, light and graceful on his feet – damn pansies.

   I don’t bother to embarrass myself by charging at him again, but whirl around with a round-about kick, aiming straight for his face – but he grabs my foot and twists it.

   I manage to lift my other foot off the floor and lightning quick, I jerk my body round so that I land on both feet. I glare at him, my chest heaving.

   “You Demons are all the same. Big babies.”

   “Nice to see you too!” He grins.

   “Don’t sit there with that smug look on your face! Why the hell are you here?” I snap.

   “I… er, called him,” the Faun murmurs.

   “You! Why would you call him?”

   “He’s the person who’s going to help us teleport to Drew.”

   “Why would you help a Faun?” I bark suspiciously at Demon.

   “He’s a friend,” he shrugs. “Unlike you.”

   I scowl at him. “Obviously I’m not a friend. I wouldn’t want to be your friend if you were the last person standing on this god-damn infested planet!”

   “Infested?” He raises an eyebrow.

   “Yes! Infested with the likes of you! Creepy, slimy, disgusting Demons who think they own this  place!”

   “Couldn’t live it down, huh?” He winks. “Bet your mummy was just so darn disappointed in you.”

   “Shut up,” I warn.

   “First… you totally miss me. Then you get tricked – ooh, if only you hadn’t picked up that gun. The world would be better off with one less lousy Seeker.”

   I find my body straining to jump forward but the Faun places a hand on my arm and shakes his head silently. I jerk out of his grip.

   “We don’t need his help. We can find Drew a different way,” I order.

   “How?” He asks plainly.

   “Yeah, because from what I know… Drew’s about to board a ferry off to another part of the world,” the Demon grins.

   I let out a small hiss, torn with my decision to accept the help from a Demon who made me the laughing stock of my family, or letting Drew get away with not only Nikki, but Monroe too.

   Monroe.

   Damn, she’d better not have touched him. At all – or I will cut her head off!

   “Tick tock, Seeker,” he says, tapping an imaginary watch.

   “Fine,” I bark. “Take me to them.”