Twenty three

Twenty three

   “Does it hurt?” Monroe asks.

   We sit inside his living room on his couch. He’s holding my hand, his eyes on the deep gouge in my arm.

   “Have you fed?” I ask, completely ignoring his question – the look of hunger in his eyes makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

   He shakes his head at me and gives me a look which clearly states that I’m being silly.

   “I’m not going to eat you, okay? Jeez.”

   “Sorry,” I shrug. “I’m just tired – and stressed.”

   “That’ll be loss of blood,” he sighs. “At least let me clean it.”

   I nod my head weakly. He leaves for a moment and I close my eyes, my eyes stinging slightly. I only know he returns when the couch shifts slightly and he grasps my arm once more.

   The cool material of the cloth against my skin is soothing.

   “I have to go home,” I say quietly.

   “You can stay here tonight.”

   “I have to see Janine...”

   “No, you don’t. Stay here tonight, with me, okay?” He says softly.

   “But I have to tell her...”

   My protest is cut off when I feel his lips against mine. I cling to him and his arms encircle me, pulling me irresistibly close.  The roughness of his beard against my cheeks and chin is ticklish enough that I pull back.

   “Hmm?” He protests.

   “Sorry, your beard was tickling me,” I whisper.

   “It isn’t that bad!”

   “I’m just used to the stubble okay? You need to shave it.”

   He shakes his head. “You like the stubble though, right? That doesn’t bother you?”

   “The beard doesn’t bother me at all. I kind of like it actually – it just tickles when I kiss you.”

   He sighs and rolls his eyes. “Will you stay here tonight then?”

   “Yes,” I whisper and kiss him again.