Thirty Eight

Thirty eight

   “Ana!” He sits upright as soon as I climb into the van.

   I shut both doors, surprised at the small lights on either side of the back. I make my way to him and drop to my knees. I don’t hesitate in smooshing my lips against his.

   He’s clearly surprised by my sudden action because he stiffens for a split second before moving his arms around me, pulling me impossibly closer.

   My blood spikes in response to his warm touch and I run my hands through his thick hair, shivering in response to his fingers trailing light patterns over my back.

   “I’m so glad you’re okay,” I whisper against his mouth.

   He pulls back to give me a crooked smile. “Maybe I should do this more often if this is the kind of greeting I get.”

   I slap him on the arm and shake my head, ignoring his laughter as it rings around.

   “Are you okay?” I ask, trailing my fingers over his face.

   The wound that Drew made with her nails is gone, but the blood remains dried into his cheek, one thin line. There’s not another mark on him – no lumps or bumps, but that’s not to say they haven’t just healed.

   “Yeah, I’m fine. They just drugged me to keep me under, but they haven’t hurt me in any – what are you doing?”

   As he’d begun to speak, I had licked my thumb and begun to rub at the blood stain.

   “Just getting rid of the blood,” I shrug.

   He shakes his head with a small laugh and captures my hand in his. I raise my eyebrows slightly.

   “I don’t care about the blood. What about you?” He murmurs softly, his thumb skimming gently over my knuckles.

   “You mean other then waking up to find everyone gone, meeting a Demon who humiliated me when I first started Seeking and got tricked by a Faun who was actually a Demon?”

   There it is again! That thing at the back of my head, whispering softly to me – it’s almost as if it’s trying to tell me who the Demon could be. But again, whenever I try to catch it, it runs away.

   So I keep talking instead.

   “And of course let’s not forget losing the little evil child to said Demon,” I mutter.

   “Yeah, I heard,” he sighs. “I don’t think she’s evil though – just doesn’t want to get married.”

   I scowl at him. “She’s evil alright.”

   “How come?”

   I pause as flashes of the cold hits me, that darkness, the dread and fear – the panic. I swallow as a shiver runs through me.

   He notices and places a hand on my arm, his brow furrowed. The warmth from his skin brings me back to Earth.

   “What is it?” He demands.

   “It’s just… she did this thing to me. I was fighting with Drew and I had the upper hand and just… something hit me. It was like being wrapped in a blanket of darkness. It was…”

   I don’t want to admit it. How terrified I was. How I couldn’t stop screaming. How I felt like I was being smothered by the sickly tar.

   He shakes his head, surprising me by pulling me forward suddenly.

   “I know what you’re talking about,” he murmurs softly, his hand gliding up and down my back. “I had a similar thing happen to me not so long ago.”

   “What was it?” I shiver.

   “They like to call it a Hex. It’s basically all their feelings of anger and hatred thrown into one big bubble of nasty. No long term affects… but it’s horrible enough to keep coming back to you anyway.”

   I swallow and push myself closer to him. I’m tempted to just close my eyes and sleep – I’m suddenly overcome with a wave of exhaustion that rocks through my entire body.

   “Are you okay?” He asks softly, lips brushing my ear.

   I nod. “I’m always okay, silly.”

   He laughs softly and just holds me. It’s nice. I’ll admit it. Very nice.

   “There’s more,” I sigh.

   “Fantastic,” he mutters.

   “Mum’s been watching.”

   “What?”

   “I think she’s keeping tabs on me, according to Drew she’s been keeping her distance but paying attention.”

   “Maybe she really does care?” He offers but the words lack conviction.

   “Maybe,” I laugh and shake my head. “Maybe she’s just interested in this demon…”

   Suddenly it hits me. Sqaure in the face. Full force. I don’t see how I didn’t know before.

   I’m so shocked that I jerk back, small chills coursing through my body as I let out a small gasp. I get a burning sensation behind my eyes and nose as my mouth drops open.

   “What!? What is it?” Monroe barks urgently.

   “I know who it is. I know who the Demon is!”