Chapter Twelve

[Camila's POV]

4:56 AM.

"Mila, I never got to hear you sing. Where did you go, Mila? I miss you...I wanna hug you and tell you how much I've missed you."

"It's been a long while since we've hugged, since we've played, since you've sang to me...can you hear me, Mila? Mommy and Papi said they miss you too..we can see you right now, I love you, Camila...be good, okay?"

I instantly shot up breathing heavily, with tears rushing down my face. My sudden actions caused Lauren to wake up. I put my hands to my face that was coated with a thin layer of sweat. Lauren sat up, moving my hair out of my face and patting my back.

"Camila, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Lauren asked me concerned.

"I heard Sofi, I couldn't see her, but I heard her. She said she misses me and that she never got to hear me sing her song, I miss her so much, Lauren.." I said gripping on to Sofi's small locket.

Lauren hugged me and buried her head in the pit of my shoulder, "it's okay, Camila..things will get better, I promise." She muffled.

My face was against Lauren's neck, I felt her shirt being soaked with my tears and sweat and I was inhaling deeply.

"We're stuck here, Lauren! We aren't leaving and we're going to have to live by their rules, and they aren't fair. We've only been here for a day and the so called, 'man' of the house already threatened you and I. This isn't safe."

Lauren was rubbing the back of my head signaling me to calm down, "Camz, I have a plan..don't worry, we'll be out soon. I'm not going to have you live like this."

"As much as I appreciate your effort, I'm not going to just act like we can fix this." I said.

"Can I tell you my plan..?" Lauren asked me, separating us so she could look me in the eyes.

I nodded and I was waiting for her to tell me about her plan, "you know that old Jeep down at the junkyard? I promised my dad I would flip a dead engine car for him as soon as I got back from camp. That's what I'm going to do, I'm going to flip that car and get us the fuck out of here."

Lauren then picked up my hands and kissed my fingers, "what if we escape, but they find us?" I asked. Lauren then put my hand in my lap and said, "then let's try not to get caught."

I checked the clock and it read, 5:15 AM. "We have to be up by nine, maybe I should go back to my be-" Lauren started.

"-no, stay with me. I'm scared, I can't go back to sleep." I said gripping onto Lauren's hand.

"Camz, what if Brady or Wanda walk in to find us in the same bed? Do you think that would be good for us?" Lauren said removing my fingers from her hand.

"Five minutes?" I asked, my voice cracking midway through the sentence.

"Camila, I'll end up falling asleep, I can't risk it. I'll stay up though until you fall asleep, go to sleep and I'll be on my bed reading. Deal?"

I nodded, feeling disappointed that Lauren had declined my offer, but she was right.

My eyes were focused on Lauren at the other side of the room, she had her back against the wall, slouching with her head in her right hand. She looked like she was falling asleep, I felt bad for keeping her up late, but I genuinely was scared, that dream definitely shook me up.

"You sleepy?.." I whispered to the girl on the other side.

She grumbled, "I'm good, go to sleep." She was obviously lying, you could see it in her body language.