Chapter 3 - Tess' POV

Chapter 3

I don't even wanna know what my mom said to him. I already have an idea. "She loves Big Time Rush and your her favorite" I might pass out at the thought. I was brought back to reality when I heard Kendall's voice. "And the Oscar goes to Tessa" He said loudly and threw his arms up in the air with happiness. "Why thank you." I say. "Do you want me to see when you get out of here?" he asked. "Sure." I replied. He left the room and came back a minute later. "Tonight." he said simply. "And if you think I'm just gonna disappear after you get out - you little miss are wrong." he said, pushing some hair out of my face.

About an hour later my mom came back - with a lawyer. "You all are scheduled to go to Jax Brent's hearing in two months." he said. "Why is Kendall?" I ask. "Anyone who was a part of this has to go. He played a bigger role than you may think. And I hate to say it but - there may be a custody battle here. "Between me and who?" We're all surprised at this statement. "You, Ms. Carter and Kendall Schmidt over here." the lawyer says all 'matter - of - factly'. "Sir, I didn't apply or say anything about having custody over her." Kendall says. he quickly finishes. "There's nothing wrong with Tessa - believe me she's wonderful. But i'm 22....I can barely take care of myself." I don't take any offense because he clearly isn't ready to take care of someone execpt himself. "Well according to the people we have that are involved in you life - he's the onlyone. Kara, your sister, is only 18 and she's in college across the country. So she's out. All grandparents are either dead or in another country. Aunts and Uncles are all over the country - big family you got here. We can't send her anywhere because you, Ms. Carter still need visitation. That is, if you actually loose custody of her.

"But I don't wanna be taken away." I say, as real tears start to form. First I loose my dad. And now this is thrown in my face. Kendall comes and sits next to me, putting an arm around my shouders. "Look, it's not my choice. I'll fight until I can't anymore for you to stay But at some point everyone gives up a fight. And this isn't just a fight - it's a war." He finishes. But there is still one unasnwered question. "Why does she need to fight for custody? She didn't do anything". I say. "Well other than bad parenting, she left you alone for more than 18 hours. And that is over the legal limit that a minor under the age of 16 can stay home alone for. And she did it 4 times."  My mom and I both look down at the gorund, guilty. We promised each other never to tell anyone. But somehow they found out. Mom and lawyer dude - i don't know his name - went to finish their conversation in the hallway. My mind was swimming with thoughts. "You know...If i do get custody of you  - on the off chance that the judge is a total hard ass - do you promise not to get mad at me if I can't give you the best?" Kendall asks totally serious. "I promise." I say, right as he finishes.