Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - 2 months Later (hearing)

This morning was a mess! I had a dance competition last night, and we got back so late. Sp we accidentally slept late too. The morning was filled with running, yelling, and of course, broken hair straiteners. (I swear I look like a slightly brushed poodle.)

We finally got to the courthouse though. there were cameras and reporters everywhere because "THE Kendall F Schmidt" was at a hearing. He was waiting outside for us, when we got to him he took our hands and led us through the tons of people. Once we got iinside, we started talkiing.

"How did you do last night" Kendall asks. We've been talking and hanging out throughout the to months. "Junior miss Starpower is my new title." I say proudly. "That's great! Now, whatever happens today - I will make sure everything turns out okay." he says, bending down to my level. The lawyer walks over to us. "They're ready for us."

We walked in, looking professional and polished. My heart started to beat faster with anger when I saw Jax. "All rise." said the guard. And we did so. The judge walked in, he looked fair. "We are here for the hearing of Jax Brent. Now you supposedly beat Tessa Carter after you got off of work. Is this true Mr. Brent?" He asks, looking through some papers. "Yes - yes it is."  he said. voice cracking. He acts all tough - but this place scares him to death. "Okay, obviously guilty. Why did you do it?' he asks sternly. "Because. She didn't do the dishes." he replied. Jax's voice got lower at how stupid he sounded. "She didn't do the dishes," the judge repeated in utter disbelief. "Now I don't even have any words for how wrong, rude, ridiculous, and idiotic that was. You are so stupid, I'm not even gonna bother with the jury on this one. Based on her injuries of two broken ribs, cut on the arm needing of stitches, and a small amount of internal bleeding - you get 5 years. With 8 years mandatory anger management. Withh AA meeting because when you were picked up from the hospital you failed the sobriety test." the judge finishes. "Recess." the judge stood, banged his little hammer thing - I don't really know what it's called or how to spell it, I'm 13 gimmie a break.

We left the room happy because he is finally getting what he deserves. "Okay, next we find out who you go to." my mom says. I just nodd. Very soon our free time is over, and we have to go back in. Now it's mom's turn.

"Mrs. Carter. I understand that you left your daughter alone for two whole days. Would you care to explain?" the judge asks. "I had to go on a short business trip and I couldn't take her with me. And at the time, I wasn't dating Jax, so there was nobody around. But I called her every few hours, made sure she had food, and installed a new security system with a camera at every door." my mother pleads. "But that isn't our issue. There was a law broken here. And it doesn't matter how safe you thought she would be, either way she still could've gotten hurt. And it looks like with your work history....you work from 6am to 11pm. You might as well say she's living alone." the judge says. This doesn't look good. "But...not on weekends." was all my mother could say. And by the look the judge gave her - she just dug herself a deeper hole. One she isn't getting out of. "Now Mr. Schmidt I see you work a lot too. But your older brother lives with you toosometimes?" the judge asks. "Yes, there is a Paramount lot near where I live, and if he's ever shooting there then he stays with me." Kendall says. "Okay. And your work on set will range from 7am to...?" the judge is waiting for Kendall to finish. "Anywhere between 8pm and 1am. But I'm not always doing something, I have time to leave." he says. And with that - I don't think he's helping my mom.

About ten minutes later, they made their decision. "Mrs. Carter, we are deciding that Mr. Schmidt take your daughter. Her living conditions are okay, but she doesn't have the care she needs. A 13 year old on her own is too early. Something could easily happen to her. This is being done for her own good. And yours. You can visit whenever you want. If you want her to stay the night you have to come to me and get a permit. And if you do not have her back by the correct time, you will loose this privelage. I'm sorry to you both. Court dismissed." he says and leaves.

We got a couple minutes to talk before I left. Now I know how Katniss felt. "Be good for Kendall. Don't do anything you wouldn't do to me. Don't miss me too much, I'm only ten minutes away." my moms eyes filled with tears. I know she won't be able to visit often because of work. And the fact that now she's loosing me is what brought on the water works. I can't blame her. I started to tear up to. "I love you." she said as I was being taken out. "You too." I say back. I tried to contain myself but it was hard. Because now I have no parents taking care of me. I lost them both.

After I had gotten all of my things into my new room, Kendall wanted to talk. "Now, I don't know how okay you are with this but....are you gonna be happy here?" he asks. There's a long pause. "We'll see. Thre's nothing wrong with you. It's just the fact that I was taken away from the only parent I have left." I could feel the tears forming. "Excuse me." I said and went back up to the room. I saw I had 5 new texts all from my mom:

"How are you?"

"Are you being good?"

"They never said anything about texting"

"And my personal favorite:

"I put your dad's wedding ring on a cahin. It's hidden in the bottom of your suitcase.

I went tearing through all of my suitcases. About halfway through the second one, Kendall came in. "What are you doing?" He said with a slight chuckle. "My mom said she put my dad's wedding ring in one of the cases. But she didn't tell me which one though." I looked at him. "Do you want help?" he asked, kneeling down next to me. I nodded my head. he opened my dance suitcase. 'Is all of this stuff covered in rhinestones?" he asks. "Pretty much." I giggle. "This is definitley not a costume piece." he said, picking out the ring on the chain. I took it from him. There was a note taped to it. I read it out loud. "Gold for the gold medal dancer. Keep it with you when you dance. Close to the heart ~ Mom and Dad." I don't let the tears come. I smile. Anytime I dance it's for them. Kendall breaks me out of my silence. "You should go to bed, it's been a long day." he says standing up. I just nodd and stand up. "Night." he says, pulling me in for a hug.

I Found Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें