Chapter 3: A Growing Friendship

"You look tired," Silver pointed out.

"Well, maybe it's because I had that dream again," Sapphire grunted as she looked down at her feet while walking.

"Uhh, I'm sorry," Silver tried to maker feel better.

"...Look, it's not your fault. They just happen," Sapphire looked at him.

"Alright," Silver said as Sapphire took his hand in hers.

"I still don't get why you didn't take your bike here," Sapphire said as they walked into the plaza.

"Well, I have no idea where to park it," Silver said. "And I don't get why they give drivers licenses to inklings who just learned how to walk," he added.

It was a Wednesday morning, the taller buildings casting a slight shade in the plaza. The plaza was half full, but the two assumed that everyone was mostly inside the lobby. Silver and Sapphire glanced up towards the glass building where Callie and Marie were sitting, having a chat. Almost immediately, the Squid Sisters saw them and waved enthusiastically at them. The pair laughed and waved back. Before looking for Aiden and Chloe, they, went to Armor Knights. There, Sapphire somehow convinced Silver to buy everything at once. Depositing their new weapons into the gear depository system, they went out to find their friends. Sapphire was holding the E-Liter 3K Scope and Silver was equipped with the N-Zap '89. Looking everywhere around the plaza, they finally spotted Aiden and Chloe under a tree. Aiden was resting the tank of the Heavy Splatling on his Shoulder while Chloe leaned on the handle of her Gold Dynamo Roller.

"Took you long enough to find us," Aiden said, coming out from under the tree, followed by Chloe.

"Well, I couldn't really find you quickly since you were in the shade," Silver mumbled.

"Well, anyways, let's go battle," Aiden said with the other three nodding.

***

The squad was now sitting at a restaurant in downtown Inkopolis. It was past noon, and they looked tired from battling. Chloe especially. Her arms were weak from swinging her Gold Dynamo Roller. They all had already ordered food and were sipping their drinks. Sapphire had downed her whole glass of soda in less than a minute and was asking for a refill. But mainly, all four of them were sitting in silence. Silver was finding it too awkward, so he managed to ask something.

"So, what do you guys wanna talk about?" he asked quietly.

"...We should talk about ourselves. After all, we just met," Aiden responded. Silver nodded.

"If you don't mind me asking, are you guys a couple?" Chloe spoke up.

"Ugh, I wish we were," Sapphire complained. Silver blushed and scratched the back of his head. Then, noticeable snickering came from Aiden. Chloe tried to nudge him to stop.

"That's the first time that after that question, the two people didn't scream 'no' and turn away from each other, blushing," Aiden started to laugh louder. Chloe gave in.

"So you're saying all that time you guys were in Octo Valley camping out, you never were dating?" Chloe smirked.

"Wait, you bring up that we defeated the Octarians now?" Sapphire raised an eyebrow. "Why not when you pulled us aside in the lobby yesterday?"

"Well, you did say not to go and scream 'AHHHHHHHHH HELLO' in Inkopolis News Time, didn't you?" Aiden glanced over at Silver who chuckled.

"If you don't mind me asking, are you guys a couple?" Sapphire repeated what Chloe asked earlier. Chloe looked at Aiden slowly, who then nodded afterward.