Chapter 10: Return to Your Roots

Inkfire was heard echoing through the dark blue tunnel. Silver and Sapphire came rushing out, the last two evacuating from Kettle City. Hiding behind the tunnel entrance wall, he chucked a Splat Bomb deep into the descending tunnel. Immediately, a silver inksplosion stopped the small group of octolings that were sent ahead to try to possibly gain control of Takoroka City as well.

Silver sighed. It had been an eventful day. Luckily, the gang's check through Kettle City was thorough, and everyone had been lead to safety. A bead of sweat rolled down the side of his face as he fell to the grassy sidewalk beside the entrance of the tunnel.

The entrance was a sturdy brick and clay structure with the roads descending inside of it. It was positioned right in front of the waterfront, the actual tunnel running deep in the water. The tunnel itself was built of transparent, unbreakable glass with the road paved inside.

Silver moved to behind the entrance. He rested his back on the brick wall and looked out to the sight before him. It was all familiar to him, for he finally arrived back in his hometown, Takoroka City. His silver eyes gazed out onto the sun setting at the horizon of the water, behind the, now seeming, small and distant island of Inkopolis. And also the rock-cliffed island holding Kettle City.

He saw absolutely everythhing. Inkopolis, the bridge to Kettle City on the left and Firefin Town to the right, their broken paths due to explosions, and Hammerhead Bridge. Squinting, he could see a microscopic spec hovering above Inkopolis.
Directly in front of him was the clean, but empty beach of Takoroka. His parents and Sapphire's parents used to always take them to this beach, where Silver and Sapphire play in the sand.

Behind him, the sidewalk and road continued out of the tunnel and cut through green meadows of cleanly-cut grass. At the end of the meadows, the area would become more urban and orderly.

Sapphire stood leaning against the wall behind Silver. She smiled down at Silver, who was still trapped in his thoughts. Sapphire giggled quietly at Silver. Hearing her giggle, Silver snapped out of his train of thought.

"...Oh hey, Sapphire..." Silver murmured as his gaze returned to the glowing water and the golden-tinted beach.

"Hey, Silver," Sapphire said, running her hand through his silver, tentacle hair. She sat beside him and leaned against his shoulder.

"...I remember when we used to squid around on the sand whenever we came to the beach..." Sapphire said in rumination of the past.

"...Yeah..." Silver responded.

All was quiet. The two sat there in silence, the sound of the crashing waves echoing throughout the area. Then, snickering was heard behind them.

"...Hey, guys..." Chloe said behind them.

"You guys gotta get home now. It's getting late," Aiden said as well. Sean stood behind them and gave Silver and Sapphire a small wave and a smile.

"Your parents are so nice," Chloe remarked with a smile. "They let the Squid Sisters and us sleep there!"

"...We're home..." Sapphire gazed at the all-to-familiar city behind them. "We can see Dad and M-" Sapphire abruptly paused.

Silver suddenly grew quiet.

"...Dad..." Sapphire whispered, correcting herself.

"...and Mom..." Silver added quietly, regarding his last alive parent.

"...They're really worried about you guys," Chloe said. "You should go see them."

"You're right..." Silver stood up and took one last look at the now distant Inkopolis. He stood up, giving a hand to Sapphire to help her get up.