Chapter 6: A Danger Approaches Part 2

Aiden was wearing a jubilant smile on his face. As he stood frozen with his randomized team, the match over. His team was in Frank's base, having all of the turf in the stage. Now, they were spawn camping them. Miraculously, he ended up with three people who were once associated with Frank. Two young inklings, a boy and a girl, and Hank.

"No way in Octo Valley," Frank sighed, clearly frustrated as the other inklings who battled with him backed off.

"Ha, the meanie got beat," the younger girl inkling exclaimed, mockingly pointing at Frank.

"That's what you get for ditching me, Frank!" Hank yelled at him. "I've gotten better and more experienced than I used to be."

"Looks like you lost," Aiden smirked.

"Well it's not fair that you got paired up with them!" Frank complained.

"Well it's not fair that you got paired up with random people!" Aiden mocked him.

"Well it's not fair that you SHUT UP!" Frank yelled in frustration as he stormed away. His teammates shrugged their shoulders and dismissed themselves.

Aiden shook hands with the other three. "I hope to see you all again someday."

"Likewise," Hank nodded. He proved to be a better person when not associated with Frank.

"Thank you, mister!" the inkling boy shook his hand and went off with the other girl back to another kettle.

Aiden sighed. He was all alone now. Grinning to himself, he thought how lucky he had been to have such a relatable team, and a strong one at that. Exiting the tower, he looked at his phone. It was almost three. At four, the group had planned to sleep until Splatfest. Just then, the trucks for the Splatfest decorations arrived in the plaza, catching the interest of most inklings. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sean's brown hair and Chloe's bright pink hair. As he turned around more, they seemed to be deep in conversation. He listened to them under a tree.

"You really are smart, Sean," Chloe's voice said.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about the way I treated you when we were dating," Sean's voice sounded strong. "I realized how wrong it was."

"But you can't date me, I'm dating Aiden," Chloe said questionably.

"You are right about that," Sean said, "but if I could go back and change everything I did to mess up, I would take the chance." Aiden raised an eyebrow. He was surprised at this.

"Then why did you join up with all the others?"

Sean was silent for a while. "Frank said he knew Aiden and a girl name Chloe, so from then we befriended, and then there were these other two who knew Silver and Sapphire. You already know how popular those two are and how word spreads about where and who they hang out with."

"You shouldn't join with those other three. All I see in them are your past self," Chloe said.

"...Maybe I still will, just because it's a matchup," Sean stated.

"...What do you mean?" Chloe questioned.

"Y'know, like Aiden and Frank, you and me, Silver and Clarisse, and Sapphire and Luke..."

"Oh, right... ...Hey, Aiden!" Chloe spotted Aiden from under the tree.

Sean grew silent. "...How long were you there?" Chloe questioned.

Aiden walked out from under the tree. "About a minute."

"...Sorry, Sean, I gotta go," Chloe said disappointedly.