Chapter 7: Splatfest

All of the inklings of Inkopolis were whisked away into the many battlefields. This Splatfest, all of the battlefield were available to use, instead of just three. In Silver's case, he and his friends were sent to Kelp Dome, the sky above it dark, decorated with fireworks. The colors for this Splatfest were silver for Team Art and light blue for Team Science in commemoration of Silver and Sapphire's heroic actions for Inkopolis. Even though the colors were silver and light blue, all of the inklings could use any color. Brown, black, and many others.

Appearing at one end of Kelp Dome were Silver, Chloe, a random inkling, and a heavily dressed inkling. On the other side was Sapphire, Aiden, another random inkling, and another heavily dressed inkling. The two heavily dressed inklings had oddly-shaped Octoshot Replicas. But the other inklings didn't worry about them that much. It was Splatfest, and everyone was welcome to join.

...Right?

...3

...2

...1

Boom!

"It has started," the leader said to himself in his office back in Octo Valley. DJ Octavio sat beside him in another chair. Right below the pothole connecting Inkopolis and Octo Valley were lines of troops and fighters of the Octarian Army.

The sudden noise that started every battle sent every inkling in the Splatfest surging forwards, quickly covering ink with their weapons. At least one of those heavily-dressed inklings were in every room, their weapon shooting out nothing. But if someone could see closely, their weapon was shooting out a clear, liquid substance, scattering over the spawn point kettle and friendly-firing their teammates. The substance didn't hurt when it was shot at someone, but its effect would be disastrous. Most of these heavily-dressed inklings, secretly teenage octolings, shed a tear from their eye. They were all forced to do something they wished not to. The many ink battles that the Squids had looked fun to them, unlike the military operation that they were forced to do.

Silver and Sapphire lead their team in strong, quickly getting to the center in their own colored ink. Meeting at the middle, all eight, and all of the inklings battling, began to lock on and start shooting. Silver popped out from behind the center wall in front of Sapphire, scaring her.

"Gotcha!" he whispered to himself with a smirk as he held his Aerospray in front of Sapphire and pulled the trigger.

"AHHHH!!! Silver, STOP!!!" the scream Sapphire made sounded like she got splatted.

But she wasn't splatted yet.

"Geez, how many Defense Ups do you ha-" Silver dropped dead silent, releasing his Aerospray on the ground. He could feel his heartbeat pounding against his chest. In front of him was Sapphire, a shocked and hurt expression on her face. Bruises were all over her body, her clothes already ripped. The bruises were exactly where Silver shot her. But she didn't resurrect back to spawn. She was injured.

"...SAPPHIRE!" he yelled, dropping to his knees next to her trembling body on the inked floor. This was happening live, everywhere. In every stage, in every room, an inkling got hurt by ink. A regretful octoling watched from a corner.

***

"This is what they truly deserve," the leader mumbled, watching the headgear camera that the octoling that was behind the wall provided. It showed an image of Silver and Sapphire in Kelp Dome.

"Ready the army. They'll probably be cancelling each battle and sending them back to the lobby by default," the leader ordered an admin behind DJ Octavio. "Give them no time to rest or recuperate. This is our win, for it is in our favor."