Chapter 42- Exposed

This awesome art was created by @Sixthsin its absolutely amazing, and I am deeply in love with it lol! Thanks so much!
*****************

The sensation of someone watching me drew my from sleep. My eyes shifted around until they found Warren, who was indeed watching me from the floor of the garage.

I unlocked the doors and climbed out of the car carefully. "How long have I been out?" I asked, rubbing my good eye sleepily.

"I don't know." He coughed, his voice sounding raspy and dry.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, noticing the sweat droplets on his forehead, but the blanket wrapped around himself like he was freezing.

I reached over to him and touched my hand to his forehead. I winced when I felt the heat radiating off of him like a furnace.

"I'm not going to make it through the night." He said solemnly, staring into empty space.

I nibbled on my lower lip before kneeling down beside the supplies and unzipping the bag. I passed him some water, and a can of beans but he shook his head, not bothering to look at me.

"Save it, its a waste for me to use it."

I pursed my lips and stood up, giving Warren a sad nod before dropping the items down onto the bag.

"Help me move into that car." Warren asked, climbing to his feet slowly.

I opened the door and took his arm to lead him to the car. He laid down in the back seat, closing his eyes and sighing.

"Roll the windows down and shut the doors." He ordered.

Silently I turned the knob until the windows were half way, and shut the door. "Its just in case I... you know."

"I'll make sure that... that won't happen." I whispered.

"Hows your eye?" He asked, shuffling his arm a little.

"Fine, I guess." Truth be told, it ached and burned like fire. But I didn't want him to worry about something like that.

"Why did you do it?" I asked, the question had been gnawing at my soul since I met him.

"What?" He chuckled in confusion.

"You're a perfect stranger. You could have taken that knife in my boot when you were searching us. But you didn't. You helped us."

"I had a daughter. Her name was Claire. Her mom died when she was born, so we were on our own. I used to be a hunter. Sell the carcasses of animals to survive, until a woman I was dating questioned me. She asked my motives and I explained my situation, and she said one thing. She told me that when I look into the eyes of the animal that I've killed, remember my daughter so the animal can be honoured. It was a simple wish."

"Warren..." I said, wondering what he was getting at.

"What ever animal I've killed, or is about to kill has always had that innocent doe look about them. And I haven't been able to kill yet. Except for that worthless shit bag. But I avoid killing. That night, when you were watching me, you had that doe look. And I knew I had to save you."

I stared at him, as tears brimmed in his eyes. "Thank you."

He looked up at me, his brow furrowing. "For saving me, and my family."

Warren reached his hand out to me, and his grip was as weak as he was. "Don't ever stop fighting for the ones you love. You will regret it."