Chapter 27- Infected

Heres a special update for you guys :) Merry christmas and happy holidays! ily! This photo was made by @Glenn_lover_4ever
************************************
I heard shouts from across the field, growls from the dead, but tuned them all out and focused on Victoria shrieking helplessly.

I reached the fences in record time, and ran towards my baby. Majority of the corpses had gathered around Victoria, hoping she could be their next meal.

"I'm here." I called over the snarls of the biters.

I reached Victoria and grabbed the walkers hand that was firmly clasped around Victorias ankle.

I tore the fingers off, one by one, each of them breaking with a sickening crunch. When she was finally free she scurried back quickly, crying and breathing heavily.

I slowly picked her up and she buried her head into my chest. "Oh baby girl. Its okay. I'm here now." I hushed, smoothing her hair down.

"Mariah, get away from her!" Daryl shouted as he ran towards us.

I furrowed my brow and set her to the ground gently. "What?" I yelled back.

"Is she bit?!" Rick yelled, running behind Daryl.

"No... She's fine. She wasn't bit." I shouted, looking at the pair in confusion.

Daryl and Rick finally reached us, Daryl instantly pulling me back from Victoria. "Daryl, it might be too late." Rick mumbled from behind us.

Daryl ran a hand through his head and shook his head stubbornly. "No, it was only for a second. She'll be alright." He argued back.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked, confused by the pair.

"That outbreak in the cellblock. Somebody died from what we think is an illness. Anyone in there might be infected, that includes us and you." Rick explained, his eyes fixated on Victoria who's cries were turning into quiet sniffles.

"Oh my god. This thing, it's deadly?" I whispered, looking down at Victoria.

"We gotta get her inside, away from all the sick. Along with everyone else." Daryl said, starting towards Victoria.

Rick laid a hand on Daryl's shoulder, shaking his head back and fourth. "She was in the cell block all night. She might be sick already." Rick said to Daryl calmly.

Daryl looked down at his feet in defeat. He and I both knew that she was infected, just like me and himself. I nibbled on my lower lip and Daryl went back over to Victoria. He scooped her up into his arms and began to walk towards the Prison.

Rick sighed and scratched at his beard. "Hershel and Caleb think this was carried by the pigs we have."

I ran my fingers through my hair and looked at Rick carefully. "So what happens now?" I whispered.

Rick sighed and looked up at Victoria sadly. "The councils going to meet up, make a decision. I won't be going."

I shook my head watching Daryl carry Victoria tenderly in his arms. "I'm not going either, I've already been exposed. I'm going to take Victoria for a bath, and get her to rest."

Rick nodded and Daryl slowly came to a stop, gently setting Victoria down to her feet. "I got her." I whispered, taking her hand slowly. "I'm skipping the meeting. I'll see you both later."

Before Daryl could argue I began to shuffle away with Victoria towards the bathroom. I drew her a hot bath, helped her get cleaned up and carried her back to our room. I knew she shouldn't be around other people, but she needed to sleep somewhere I'd know she'd be safe.