Chapter 45- Protecting Property

This beautiful pic was made by @AmiAzi_ on twitter, I'm not sure that their wattpad name is! Thank you so much!!
*****

The grass was long, and brushed against my hands when we walked. Joe, Daryl and I strayed from the group, drifting farther back from them as we walked. Dan and Pete lead the group, followed by Billy and Harley, then Daryl, Joe and myself.

Joe took a swig of something from a flask before handing it to Daryl, they spoke about getting lit, drunk before dawn or whatever. Daryl passed it to me, and I chugged it back. It was strong, I couldn't remember the last time I had alcohol. But it gave me a warm feeling, that rushed to my toes.

"Slow down there sweetheart." Joe said, as I passed him the flask. "You'll be stumblin' around drunk before the suns high in the sky."

Everyone walked onto the railroad tracks, before I noticed the Terminus sign. "Getting closer." Harley called out, turning to look at Daryl, Joe and I.

Daryl looked at the sign in confusion, scanning it for any kind of warning, or symbol out of place. I could tell by the look in his eyes, he didn't trust it. And that alone, sent chills down my spine.

"You seen this before?" Daryl asked Joe.

"Oh yeah, I'll tell you what it is. It's a lie." Joe began, "Ain't no sanctuary for all. You think they'll welcome guys like us with open arms?"

Joe stalked forwards, Daryl turned and gave me the look. His eyes screamed with warning, and his lip was turned into that downwards, angry frown. He hated this.

"So this is where we're headed?" Daryl grumbled, walking beside Joe again.

"You're asking?" Joe clarified.

"Thats right." Daryl said lazily.

"We were in a house. Minding our own business and uh, this walking piece of fecal matter was hidin' in the home. Strangled our colleague Lou, he turned. Lou came at all of us." Joe shook his head sadly. "He got out, tracked him to these tracks, and to one of these signs. Thus we got our destination.

"See his face?" Daryl asked.

"Only Tony, has him out for a reckoning." Joe explained.

Tony stopped suddenly, and looked down to some sort of red flower. "Claimed," Daryl called out, bending down to pick up the plant.

He tossed it in his bag and I narrowed my eyes at him. He gave me a small nod, before catching up with Joe, and leaving me to walk alone.

Tony and Billy fell behind Joe and Daryl, until eventually they were basically walking beside me. "Your boyfriend there seems to be mighty interested in Joe." Billy winked, looking to Tony.

"Yeah, might as well give him up for someone else a little more interested." Tony agreed as he looked me up and down.

I rolled my eyes at the two idiots walking beside me and crossed my arms across my chest. "Why don't you two go poke something with a stick, or kill something." I mumbled.

"Common sweetheart, don't be like that." Billy said, "We just wanna have a little fun."

"How about you and Tony go have fun in the bushes then, I won't tell anyone." I snapped.

"Common baby, don't be like that." Billy urged, and suddenly rested his hand on my breast.

I grabbed his arm immediately, and pushed him back. "Get your dirty hands off me, you filthy perv." I growled.

"What did you just say to me?" Billy said in alarm, getting closer to me.

"You heard me," I yelled, pushing past him. "I'm not some blond bimbo you can tease and screw, so if you're going to act like a dog, I'll treat you like one."

Billy grabbed my arm, and turned me around to face him. My fist collided with his face instantly, knocking him back.

My fist hurt like a bitch, I probably broke it, but it was worth the enraged look in Billy's eyes at that moment.

"You little slut." Billy snarled, and raised his hand, as if he were about to slap me across the face.

Daryl was there not even a second later, his hand wrapped around Billy's wrist, and his other arm scooping me behind him.

"Don't ever lay one of your god damn hands on my wife, or I will cut it off, and shove it up your ass." Daryl snarled viciously.

"Was that a threat?" Billy asked, snatching his arm from Daryl's grasp.

"Woa gentlemen." Joe said, walking in between Daryl and Billy as they stared each other down. "No need for any threats or killing boys. Remember that she is technically Daryl's property. That means no to touching."

I scowled at Joe and felt Daryls hand clench harder around my arm, as if he knew I was automatically offended by his words. I was no ones property.

"Alright now, can we continue on like civilized people?" Joe asked, before turning on his heel and continuing down the railroad. 

The rest of the men followed behind closely, and Daryl turned to me. "Are you okay?" He asked, and gently smooth down my hair, as he brought me into a hug.

"I want to get away from them, Daryl."
I said coldly, staring at their backs as they strolled forewords as if nothing had happened.

"Tonight, Mariah." Daryl reassured, kissing the top of my head. "I promise."