Chapter 26- Blood Chunks and Clumps

My eyes slowly opened, day light shinning in faintly through the thin, white curtain. Then I stretched out, searching for Daryl in our bed, yet coming up with nothing.

I sighed and began to untangle myself from the mess of blankets piled on the bed. I quickly dressed myself in a red flannel shirt, jeans, and my shoes before heading out to search for breakfast.

I stepped out of the cell and into the common room, only to find a few early birds shuffling about. I smiled when I saw Carol and waved. "You know where breakfast is?" I asked as I approached her.

She shook her head and walked closer to me. "No, but I'm gonna get some oatmeal going. Where's Victoria?" She questioned

"She slept in Lizzie and Mika's cell. She likes to be with them more I suppose." I muttered.

Carol had a hint of a smirk on her face when she gazed down at her feet. "Sophia was like that for a bit. She wanted to sleep at her friends for a whole week back when she first started school."

I chuckled and shook my head. "I've never been like that. To my knowledge anyways."

She grinned and she patted my shoulder. "Oh we all go through a phase like that at some point in our lives." She laughed.

I shrugged and smiled at her. "I'll see you later, Carol. I'm going to find Victoria."

I began to walk away when she gently grabbed my wrist. "Could you get Lizzie and Mika as well? I already know that Ryan is still sleeping, and they'll need to eat."

"Of course." I said and headed for cell block-D. The Prison was silent, only my footsteps echoing off the concrete made a sound.

I creaked the door open to cell block-D and strolled in. Only a few people were up as far as I could tell. I sighed and began to walk towards Lizzie and Mikas cell.

I scrunched my face up in disgust and covered my nose when a rancid odor entered the air, smelling like blood and rotting meat. From the corner of my eye I noticed a stain of dark red on the floor.

I turned and moved towards it, noticing that it was fresh and still glistening against the light. I pushed the curtain aside and gasped in shock, my hand falling to my side.

Blood, chunks of skin and clumps of intestines littered the floor and seeped out of the man lying on the bed. His eyes were opened, but cloudy and grey and I could faintly hear him try to growl.

He was a walker.

I moved closer and put a hand to my mouth as I watched the walker struggle to climb off the bed. How had this even happened?

An ear piercing scream rang out and I ran out of the cell to find more walkers, looming around the cell block.

"Oh my god." I whispered as I counted three more of them emerging from random cells.

Right away they began to attack people and chaos erupted in the block. Lizzie and Mika came sprinting my way and I quickly ushered them to the door. "GET HELP!" I yelled over the sound of terrified screams.

They took off and I turned around to look for some kind of weapon. A gun shot went off upstairs, followed by another one and panic started to set in.

Where was Victoria?

I ran down towards the girls cell, but found nothing. Several children ran past me and I quickly ceased them and dragged them into a cell. "Stay here!" I cried and slammed the cell door shut behind them.

I ran towards Karen, who was currently saving three children from a walker that was clearly going to get the best of her. I pushed it down sideways, and set one foot onto its chest to prevent it from moving. "Go!" I yelled before slamming my foot down on the walkers skull not once, not twice, but four times before its struggling finally seized.