49- Prepared to Kill

The fence clanged together and rang out loudly as Rick hopped over first, followed by Carl, Michonne, me, then Daryl.

We had watched for long enough, checked the perimeter, and Rick buried a bag of weapons, just in case.

Daryl took the lead as we ran silently around the building. The area was quiet, red bricked buildings stood tall, and train cars were still aligned with the tracks. It was so quiet. It was weirdly quiet.

We reached a red door, Rick pushing it open while Daryl ran inside, and I followed after him. A voice echoed down the hallway, and I turned the safety off of my assault rifle.

Daryl poked his head into the room, and nodded. We all filed in slowly, peopling walking around what looked like maps, and cork-boards.

Rick took charge, and walked towards a woman with white short hair, that looked rather older. "Hello." He said. "Hello." He repeated, louder.

Everyone stopped and looked at us, for a moment no one moved. Then someone threw a pencil down, a man with dark brown hair in a tan jacket. "Well I bet Alberts on perimeter watch."

He walked forwards and looked at the five of us carefully. "You here to rob us?"

"No." Rick said firmly, putting his python into its holster. "We wanted to see you before you saw us."

I kept my finger on the trigger, not trusting the people standing around us.

"Makes sense, usually we do this where the tracks meet." The man said, clearing his throat and walking closer to us. "Welcome to Terminus, I'm Gareth. Looks like you've been on the road for a good bit."

"We have. Rick, that's Carl, Mariah, Daryl, Michonne."

Gareth gave us a small wave, and a half smile. "You're nervous, I get it. We were all the same why. We came here for sanctuary, is that what you're here for?"

"Yes."

"Good, you've found it." Then Gareth turned. "Alex," he shouted. "Its not as pretty as the front, and we don't have anything to hide. But the welcome wagon is a whole lot nicer."

A young curly haired man walked towards us, he looked more innocent then the others around us.

"Alex will take ya, ask you a few questions. But first, we need to see everyones weapons. If you could just lay them down in front of you."

Rick turned, and looked at us, and we all looked back. Rick turned and kneeled down. "Alright." He said, placing his gun on the ground.

"I'm sure you understand." Gareth smiled.

"Yes I do."

Carl, Daryl and Michonne slowly began placing there weapons on the ground as well, and I held still. Rick turned and sent me a look, I narrowed my eyes at him, but he just glared and raised an eyebrow.

I slowly put my rifle on the ground, as well as my pistol and combat knife. As soon as it was off me, I felt naked and exposed, like I was about to be shot at any moment.

Gareth wandered over to Rick, and began patting him down. Alex walked over to Daryl and began doing the same. "Hate to see the other guy." He chuckled.

"You would." Rick said, and then Alex moved onto Carl.

"Did they deserve it?" Alex asked.

"Yes." Carl said without hesitation.

"Just so you know, we aren't those kinds of people, but we aren't stupid either. And you shouldn't be stupid enough to try anything stupid. As long as everyones fine with that, we shouldn't have any problems. Just solutions." With that Gareth went back over to where he was working.

Alex picked Michonnes sword up and handed it to her. He reached for Daryl's cross bow, but Daryl grabbed it before he could touch it. I picked up my rifle, pistol and knife, and Alex just skipped over me to Carl and Rick.

"Alright, follow me." Alex beaconed with a smile.

We walked outside, and I walked beside Daryl carefully and slowly. "How long has this place been here?" Daryl asked, as we walked outside.

"Almost since the start." Alex replied quickly. "All the camps started getting overrun, and people started finding this place. Its almost instinct. Follow the path. Some folks were headed to the cost, some to the west, or up north. But they all wind up here."

We walked towards a smoking grill, meat cooking and sizzling as a woman with red hair flipped it. "Hi. Heard you came in the back door. Smart. You'll fit right in here."

"Marry, will you fix each of these new folks a new plate for me?"

My eyes wandered the little area silently. The residents rummaged through boxes, with a fence surrounding them. Random plants and little water barrels seemed to be everywhere, and a tan poncho with red stripes caught my eye.

"Why do you do it? Why do you let people in?" Michonne asked cautiously.

That was Daryls poncho. It had to be. It looked so familiar, I know for fact Maggie had taken a liking to it.

"More people become a part of this, more people get stronger." Alex responded, taking a plate from the older redheaded woman.

Black riot gear. Riot gear like the Prisons, the protection only select few were wearing.

"Thats why we put up the signs. People come in, thats how we survive."

Carl and Michonne took a plate each, and I could feel Rick tensing up beside me. I looked at his eyes, pale and hard as his eyes danced around the little courtyard.

Then the next moment was a blur. Rick stomped forewords, smashed the plate out of Alex's hand, grabbed him, spun him around, snatched a silver watch from his pocket, and aimed the pistol at the side of his head.

I trailed my gun on Alex, Daryl aiming his crossbow as well. Carl and Michonne backed up, and I waited for the order to kill.