The Harvest Moon

Chapter 4

I could scarcely contain my anger as I thought of what he had said. I didn't belong to anyone and if I had to make that clear then I would. The nerve of him to have even done that to me. Who the hell did he think he was?!

I jumped up, willing myself to forget that it happened. If I didn't then I would have probably done something bordering on the line of recklessness or stupidity, depending on how you looked at it. I was pretty sure that Ryder would have seen it as being stupid. I took a deep, calming breath before exiting the school. The last thing I wanted was to be blinded by my anger because believe me, I had a pretty nasty temper. I made my way to the forest opening and found Ryder waiting there. I wondering if this would have become a regular habit. I gave him a puzzled looked but he dismissed it with his own.

"Who pissed you off?"

"Nobody." I muttered, now walking by him. I didn't want to talk about it. It would only remind me of just how pissed I was.

He walked along beside me but he didn't say much of anything. I loved that about him; he knew when to speak and when the shut the hell up. Most boys lacked that ability.

"I didn't make the team." I said after some time. I thought I would let him know. He looked up at me trying to see whether that was good or bad news. "That's bad Ryder, mom's gonna be so disappointed. And I was really good too. My moves were awesome but in the end it all boiled down to the head cheerleader who hated my guts for no apparent reason so . . .I didn't make the cut." I sighed now looking down at the forest floor in the dim light of the setting sun. How would I break it to mom. I mean sure I could have continued staying back and pretending to train but meets would come up and she would realize that I was never on the field. Then there was the fact that Damen waited behind for Amber so I would run into him atleast three times a week and I most certainly didn't want a repeat of what happen not too long ago.

"What are you thinking about?" Ryder asked contemplatively.

"Huh?" His question drew me from my thoughts.

"Well you're not usually this quiet so  figure that there's something on your mind." 

I shrugged. "I had a full day of school." I said casually. He didn't seem convinced but he didn't question me any further. The rest of the walk up until the creek was relatively quiet. Ryder broke the silence as we approached the creek.

"You keep saying that nothing happened but I can't ignore the smell of that mutt on you and you seem just a bit more jittery than usual." He stopped, forcing me to stop too; I hated leaving him alone in the forest and he knew it. I turned to him and sighed impatiently. "He did something to you didn't he?"

"What? N-no, ofcourse not." I didn't want him getting angry and doing something we'd both regret.

"Maia." He said sternly.

"Can we just forget about it. Nothing significant happened and we're almost home so can we please continue walking?"

"Not until you tell me." He had that stubborn look that told me he was dead serious. Why was he choosing now to be like this?! Argh! How annoying. I sighed in irritation.

"He slammed me against the wall and kissed me, but nothing else happened." It was just a kiss, he couldn't possibly be upset about tha--- unbelievable. In the blinked of an eye he had bolted back into the forest. I shook my head, half wishing that a branch would just fall on him--but he would still live ofcourse. I sighed then headed home. If he came back with a broken foot that would be all on him. I was washing my hands clean of him and his stupid stunt. And I thought I would have been rash and idiotic.one. Well then.