Lies And Excuses

Chapter 28

“Maia, wake up.” I groaned and turned unto my side but refused to open my eyes. Why was Ryder even waking me up? Wasn’t he the one who said that I was a doll when I was sleeping? When he didn’t stop nudging me I slapped at him without opening my eyes. I needed sleep! “Will you wake up before you have your mother come in here and think that you’ve sunk into some kind of depression after revealing some none existent rape.”

I turned and shot him a glare. “Rape is nothing to make fun of.”

He flashed his tail in my face as he turned to walk away. “Get over yourself.” 

I rolled my eyes as he jumped from the bed and went to his corner. You think he would have had some kind of sympathy but then again it was Ryder so I guess that might have been too much to ask. “Will you follow me to school today?”

“So your dad can hunt me down and chop me in half?” He asked incredulously. “And here I thought you wanted me to stick around.”

“Oh yeah.” I forgot all about that. Now Ryder would never be able to turn human again. Not if he wanted to live anyway. That also reminded me that I still had to break the news to Dad and Damen . . . no . . . I thought I decided to let Mom do that and  you know I saw no reason why I had to take Damen up to my room and break it to him when Mom would be just downstairs doing the same thing. The idea hit me instantly. I threw off the covers and headed down the stairs. “Mom!” I called. I looked around the living room before calling again. “Mom!” Where was she? “Mom?!”

“In the kitchen Honey!”

Oh yeah . . . she cooked breakfast . . .

I ran into the kitchen and found her flipping pancakes on the stove. She glanced up at me for a second or two before returning to the food. She seemed in a good enough mood which meant that she hadn’t spoken to Dad as yet. This was good. She could tell them both then I wouldn’t have to go through what might have been the most awkward conversations ever. I walked toward her slowly, letting her know that I wanted to talk.

“Can I talk to you . . . ?”

She turned to me slowly. “Of course you can.” She turned off the stove the ushered me to sit at the dining table just a bit off. “What’s up?”

“I scared . . .”

“Scared of what Sweetheart?” She asked, stroking me cheek as she spoke in a soft voice. Wow, I could actually feel like she cared this time . . .

“Dad’s going to be mad at me . . .”

“What? No, your father could never be angry at you for what happened and I don’t know why you would—“

“Yes he will! When we went to the clinic he made me promise that I would never sleep with another guy again and then I—I let Chase—“ I broke off, after seeing the worry on Mom’s face. I almost felt sorry for doing this to her. She really seemed like she was feeling my pain. Why did Nature have to be so difficult? Because of it I had to be lying to my mother and unfortunately I was going to have to sit down and watch Damen turn pale and Dad turn red when my mother broke the bad news. I cringed at the idea. This was going to be a long day I could just feel it.

“Whoa . . .Honey you never let Chase do anything.” Oh no, she was going to start that whole sympathy speech again. Ugh, no wonder most rape victims didn’t come clean; I bet they were avoiding useless talk like this that couldn’t possibly make anyone feel better. I knew I personally got tired of hearing that it wasn’t my fault and I just wished that she would come up with something more encouraging. I sighed inwardly. This had to end.