Too Many Lies

Chapter 29

“How was the Dean’s office?”

I flashed around immediately and found Damen standing directly behind me with that arrogant smirk of his. I gave him a sarcastic smile. It was the end of the day so I guess I could humour him.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.”

“Yes, actually, that’s why I asked.”

“It was fine,  put on the charm here and there and convinced her that I’m not a troubled child but merely ‘a teen trying to follow in the footsteps of a great role model who I will never be able to live up to no matter how hard I try’.”

He blinked twice.

“But you don’t have charm.” I gave him another sarcastic smile right before giving him my left hook. He winced. “What was that for?”

“Do you remember the day you told my parents that I hit you but it didn’t hurt very much? Well I just wanted to prove you wrong—I had actually been meaning to do that for a while but never had a legit reason to—before now of course.” He rolled his eyes, trying to suppress the smile that threatened to give away his true feelings. “Good, now let’s go, or did you forget that you’re supposed to be following me home?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

He smiled as he moved even closer. “It was all I could think about for the entire day.”

I put my hand in front of his face, preventing him from moving any closer. “Let me stop you right there. Didn’t I already tell you to take that out of your mind because that wasn’t why I was taking you home with me?”

“Well yeah but you never told me why you were taking me home either so I had to but something in the blank spaces to keep myself from going mad and besides . . . I kinda liked my idea.”

I rolled my eyes, turning away from him. “Of course you would.”

“Oh don’t pretend,” He said, resting his head on my shoulder, then he whispered right next to my ear. “You have to admit that you like my idea too. . .”

“Um, not really.” I said pushing him off. “Now come on, I want to get home before your cousins decide to take another walk in the forest while I’m in there.” When I realized that he wasn’t walking behind me I stopped and turned to see why. He was still standing at the top of the staircase looking down at me.  “Come on, what are you waiting for?”

“Do you honestly think that I would be walking right next to you and allow my cousins to come within a hundred steps of you?”

I sighed. “You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Then how did you mean it? What, you thought I would coincidentally vanish right as they approached so they wouldn’t see us walking together?”

“Damen can we not do this now?”

“Do what? Get your feelings out?”

“Damen—“

“No, no, no. when you have a problem you cuss me out, I should be able to speak too. I get the feeling that you just honestly don’t trust me to be your mate and protect you. You think that you have to face everything alone and that if you ask for my help I’ll let you down—“ I opened my mouth to put truth to that but he raised his hand, stopping me, “granted I have in the past but I don’t think you realize how much I’ve changed and how much I’m willing to change even further. I don’t care what y cousins think anymore, I know that some of their loyalty lies with someone else and that’s fine—really I don’t give a shit because I’m ready to kill any of them that try to so much as try to hurt you.”