Nature's Ally (1)

Chapter 22

“What happened . . . ?” I asked. I felt like I had been run over by a truck—twice or perhaps it simply reversed after running me over the first time, either way I felt God awful. The centre of my head felt like the epicentre of it all. I could literally feel it throbbing.

Something told me that this was a part of my hangover but I refused to acknowledge it as such. After a while of looking my eyes began to hurt, the light was too bright . . . it intensified my headache and made me fall back on my pillow.

“Ow . . .” I mumbled when the shock of my head hitting the pillow sent a sharp pang of pain throughout the rest of me.

“Sweetheart can you remember anything, anything at all that might have happened that might have caused this?” Mom asked now making her way over to me. I groaned in an attempt to stall. I couldn’t tell her that I downed several cans of beer and was probably having a hangover—she would have made me feel worse. Besides I wasn’t even sure if it was the beer that did this. It could have been Damen sleeping with Amber, or seeing that flashback that being taken to that strange place. There were so many reasons and I was not going to go down for the least likely. No way. With this headache a lecture would have sent me to an early and undeserved grave.

“Maybe it was something I ate . . .” I lied. “They had a buffet set up and I didn’t check to ensure there was no shrimp in the casserole.” I paused for effect. “I did think it tasted weird . . .” To save my skin I had to sell my story so well that persons would be willing to make a movie out of it.

                “Oh Alex, you know you have to be more careful than that.” Mom said wrapping her arms around me in an effort to console me. From the corner of my eyes I saw Damen roll his eyes. He obviously knew the truth but that didn’t mean he had to ruin it for the rest of the audience.

                “Yeah, I know, I’m sorry . . .”

                “It’s fine, Kiddo, we’re just glad that you’re alright.” Dad said, ruffling my hair. I flinched; my head was still sensitive even with the lie. “He smiled apologetically at me before a sly one took over. “And it looks like you gave your gentleman quite a scare too.” He teased.

                “Good.” I muttered. The lord knew he deserved it.

                Damen fell right into the act as she shot me look, feigning his hurt. “So that’s the thanks I get for caring?”

                “Be grateful that that’s all you’re getting considering the night we’ve had.”

                “Ooh, sounds like someone did something wrong.” Mom joked, trying to get in on the ‘joke’. “What did you do, dance with another girl, ditched her for your jockey friends? Come on clue me in.” I wish that were all he did. Maybe I would have preferred him to be the typical boyfriend forgetting my birthday occasionally, not wanting to watch chic flicks with me—though I would never watch them myself, forgetting to call often. Those things I could deal with but no Damen just had to be in a different category all to himself, didn’t he? He was so different that he came with his own aches and pains. Forget the pain of being a teenager—try having the new teenage werewolf love, that’s all the rage in Looney Ville; population, apparently me.

                Damen shrug so he could pass of whatever he would say next as nothing serious. “I might have complimented a girl that wore a dress similar dress as the one Alex has and would you believe she got so angry when I did that she slapped me. I was so confused that I accidentally repeated my compliment but only in an attempt to justify my actions but again—she hit me. I would have the mark to prove it but you know, she doesn’t throw such wonderful punches.”