Drink Away The Pain

Chapter 19

The flashing lights alerted me to the fact that we were approaching the party. I took a deep breath. Everything was going to be perfect. Damen was finally going to dump Amber and now that we had sorted out and voiced our feelings I had a feeling that things would start looking up for us. I was even beginning to think that I had nothing to worry about when it came to the harvest moon. He was taking on his responsibility as my mate and this held some kind of promise that he would stand behind me on that night, just a week away.

We pulled up on the side walk in between two cars.

I stared over at the house. There were people out on the front lawn and only the lights on the first floor were on. I could only imagine what was happening upstairs and I didn’t want to think about it very much.

“Are you coming or not?” Damen asked as he slid out of the car. That was when I realized that I hadn’t been moving at all. I hopped out then hurried over to his side.

“So you’re just going to go in and dump her ass then we can leave right?” I asked with a lot of hope. Now that I was here I didn’t feel compelled to stay.

He shook his head, feigning disappointment. “You really aren’t one for parties are you?”

“Nope so hurry.” I said pushing him towards the house. As we were walking across the lawn I felt a lot of eyes settle on us. At one point I was tempted to turn and ask if I had on something that belonged to any of them but instead I thought of the main reason for us being here. That made me feel better and allowed me to continue without offending anyone and getting into anything.

At the front door Amber’s right hand, Macy, intercepted us.

“Damen, glad you could come but are you sure Amber would have wanted this wanabe here?” She said. “I mean you know that you two are already on a thin line. If I were you I would try making things up to her instead of trying to piss her off even further, if you know what I mean.”

“Mace, relax, I know what I’m doing.” He said, flashing her that arrogant smile of his. When he did she began giggling as her fingers twirled around in her hair. I rolled my eyes; pathetic. Didn’t anyone have the decency to tell him that his smile wasn’t that appealing so he could cut it out? Was I the only one who saw him for the arrogant bastard that he was?

“Okay, if you say so.” Oh my God, was she flirting with him?! What the hell?!

“Eye on the prize Damen.” I said pulling him away. We had a mission and he was being a total spaz.

I pulled him to the window in the corner of the living room and took his head into my hands. He gave me a curiously innocent look as if he didn’t know that he had done wrong. I sighed. “Can you please focus on the main reason why we’re here? I can’t believe you would even flirt when I’m standing right in front of you—last I checked that hurt me physically so cut it out, find the witch so I can leave. If you never do anything for me again can you at least do that?” He opened his mouth to reply but I stopped him. “I’m not in the mood to go home, curled in a ball and hardly able to move because of something you did.” He looked into my eyes, his mouth opened but he merely nodded.

“Damen, there you are.”

We both turned and saw Amber making her way over to us. She shot me a menacing glare as she did. My guess, because I was holding ‘her’ boyfriend.

“Hey Amber.” He replied as if nothing was wrong. She took his hands into hers and pulled him into a hug. “What’s up?”

“I missed you a lot.” She said, snuggling into his chest. As she did I heard myself give off a low growl but thankfully only Damen heard. It seemed that every second that she spent with him made me more feral. I had to hurry out of here before I went wolf or something—though that would suck seeing as how I could never voluntarily do that! When I think about it I would have been pissed if I had gone wolf because I wanted control and not for the life of me could I attain it.