Hidden Desire

Chapter 6

I woke up in my bed with a splitting headache. Glancing through the window I saw that it was now night. What . . .happened . . .?

Suddenly a flashback slapped me in the face. I could see myself in the forest; swirling lights; howling---what the hell?! The pain in my head grew sharper. I threw my hand to my head and groaned. I felt like I had been hit by a bus or something . . .Then there was the fact that if what I had just seen was memory instead of simply hallucination then I was now a . . .a wolf . . .

"Ryder . . .?" I called. My voice sounded weak. He walked over to me from the corner of the room that he loved sitting in. "I feel awful . . .what happened. . .?" I asked as I reached out to touch his soft fur. He moved closer making it easier for me.

"You passed out right after your transformation then you're wonderfully helpful friend Chase Michaels carried you home."

"Who . . .?"

He stepped back then in one motion he moved from being a wolf to a full fledged human. So that was how he got me in past my parents. If I didn't feel so stoned I would have gasped. He was hot! I guess that was why he didn't want to go to school with me. As a human his eyes were a deep blue and his jet black hair fell messily to his shoulders. In the dim light I could see that he was well toned and unlike most people he had a smooth and clear skin. 

"Hey cover up." I joked so as not to give away what I really thought about his new appearance.

"Not a chance," Oh my gosh he even sounded hot! "I already chucked the clothes I found earlier and I can't bother looking for them again. This is why I prefer being a wolf, no one cares if your nude." With that he turned back into that annoyingly lovable grey wolf I had known all my life. I sighed in disappointed and he chuckled. "Get your mind of me, it's not going to happen."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, a girl can dream can't she?"

The door swung open and Mom walked in cautiously. She looked to the bed first then turned on the light with a smile when she saw that I was up. I sat up as she made her way over to me. 

"Do you know just how much you scared me kiddo?" She said with a smile of relief. "I'm just glad that you're friend Chase found you."

"Yeah. . ." I said with a discreet glance at Ryder. He turned his head away as if uninterested. It took everything in me not to roll my eyes.

"So do you know what might have happened to you?" 

"Well . . .maybe it was because of all the working out I had to do at cheerleading practice." Mom looked at me with bulging eyes and a new looked of excitement. I nodded. "Oh yeah, they finally realized that they couldn't go on without me so the head cheerleader found me during lunch and begged me to come back." Anything to make my mother forget that I had fainted earlier.

"Get out. So wasn't it awesome to have the popular girl beg?" She sounded as if she was the one going through the motions.

I smiled. "Yeah, I might make her do it some more." I said slyly. We both laughed. 

"Yeah right." I heard Ryder mumbled. I ignored him and continued entertaining my mother. It was times like these that made me glad that only I could hear him when he was a wolf.  

Mom stayed in my room with me until I had fallen asleep again, which might I add was much harder than usual. I had never felt so restless before in my life. When mom finally did leave it was because I had closed my eyes so she would think I was sleeping; it was obvious that she wanted to sleep and I couldn't have her sit up with me because that would mean her staying up until alittle after 3. Ryder didn't seem to mind staying up with me.