Don't Leave, Marco

(LISTEN WHILE YOU READ ^^^^^^^^^^)

You sat between Jean and a standing Reiner, watching the flames from the burning bodies dance before you. You knew that even though Jean wasn't letting on to it, he was hurting, and so were you. No one would've ever thought that Marco of all people would die such a horrible and cruel death, being torn apart by titans. Hot tears threatened to spill from your eyes and give way to senseless bawling even though yo knew it wouldn't bring back your freckled companion. You hugged your knees tightly, trying to squeeze your emotions back in, if at all possible.

 "I'm so sorry, Marco," you heard Jean mutter as he lifted a piece of a chipped bone from the ground, "I don't even know which one of these bones are yours anymore."

 Your heart lurched painfully in your chest upon hearing that and you couldn't hold your composure much longer. You clambered to your feet, hot tears beginning to stream down your cheeks, and hastily walked away. You heard Reiner's voice call after you, thick with emotion, but you didn't stop until you were out of sight in a narrow alleyway. That's when your emotions gave way, your sobs wracking your body and coming out harshly. You wished you could've saved Marco, you wished, to be honest, that it was you instead of him. Yes, it was a selfish thought, but you justified it by telling yourself that your death meant saving someone's life. You covered your mouth, stifling violent sobs and anguished cries. Suddenly, you felt two pairs of arms, one pair big and brawny, the other pair long and slender, wrap you in a tight hug. You, through tears, made out the familiar olive green of Jean's shirt and inhaled Reiner's comforting scent. The two men didn't say a word, but held you close to them, Jean's frame trembling slightly.

 "Don't feel bad, (Y/N), it'll be okay," he coaxed as Reiner placed tiny kisses to your neck in a soothing way.

 "I wish I could have saved him," you managed to choke out, "If I would've been there, he'd still be alive."

 Jean tensed up, "No, it's all my fault, (Y/N)," he said softly, "I'll never be able to get over his death though," he muttered as he released you, leaving Reiner to the task of comforting you as the ashen haired teen wandered off.

 "I'm sorry, (Y/N)," Reiner apologized as he turned you to face him, "I know how much Marco meant to you, but crying and making a scene won't bring him back."

 As much as you wanted to break down all over again, you knew he was right, so you sniffled and wiped your nose with the back of your sleeve and nodded. Reiner then, pulled you into another hug, swaying slightly and whispering gentle I'm sorrys and I love yous. On one hand, you were glad you still had Reiner there safe and sound and in one piece, but your heart still ached to have Marco back standing proud by your side.