Grip on Reality

You were so upset. You couldn't believe what you had just heard. Reiner leaving you for Krista? You scoffed as you stormed down the steep hillside toward the lake. You couldn't cry anymore, there were no more tears to cry. Behind you, you could hear Jean calling after you and his heavy footfalls as he ran after you.

"(Y/N), please wait, I was just talking, I don't really know if that's why he broke it off," he called as he rushed after you.

"Go away, Jean, I don't want to talk about it," you responded monotonously.

Jean stopped talking as he caught up to you, walking silently beside you. He was rather close, but you didn't care. It was a long silent walk to the lake with him, the only sound being the cicadas and both your breaths as you trudged on. Finally, you broke the silence.

"I can't believe this," you said softly, "I trusted him..loved him even."

"I know, (Y/N), but all good things have to come to an end sometimes," Jean sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

You looked down into the lake, your reflection marred by the running water. A lump formed in the back of your throat as you swallowed, trying not to cry. You wanted to yell at him, insult him, tell him how low down what he did was, but you knew you wouldn't be able to bring yourself to do it.

You loved him to much...

~Later~

You couldn't sleep. Your mind was too active, your body restless. You got up, tiptoeing along the creaky wooden floor as not to wake the others. Once outside, the chilly air kissed your face and nipped your nose. It was unusual for this time of year. You hugged yourself tightly and began to walk. You didn't know where you going, but you had to calm down. As you neared the stables, you saw Ymir. What was she doing out here? She was also in her singlet, but she didn't seem cold.

"...if she gets caught, she can just summon the other Titans to eat her," you heard her say softly.

You pressed your back against the side of the stable, listening carefully. What was going on? What were they planning?

"Reiner, we need you to focus," you heard Annie say.

"I'm sorry, guys, I'm just worried about (Y/N)," he sighed.

Your heart pounded in your chest at his words. He still cared!

"I really hurt her and she didn't deserve it," he continued quietly.

"You did it to save her," Ymir replied, "Even if saving her meant hurting her, you did her a favor."

In your excited awe, you backed into a pail sitting on top of a crate, sending it toppling to the ground with a crash. You quickly ducked behind the crates as Ymir and Annie sprang into action, followed by Bertholdt, Reiner, and Krista.

"Who's there," Ymir called into the darkness.

You held your breath and hugged yourself tightly to fit behind the tiny crate. Then a shadow loomed over you. You looked up to see Annie towering over you, looking like danger. With one swift movement, she yanked you out of your hiding place by your arm, lifting you harshly to your feet.

"It's (Y/N)," she called to the others, "Snooping around."

"Ow," you whined as you tried to escape her death grip, "You're hurting me!"

Suddenly a fist connected to the side of your head followed by Reiner's voice. A high pitched whine rang out in the back of your head as you fell to the ground. A pair of familiar burly arms scooped you up gently.

What the hell was this? What was going on?