Chapter 18-The Real Alexi Barone

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 18-The Real Alexi Barone

Miranda Barone's POV

I smoothed down my dress and made my way up to the driveway. Some of the guards scrutinised me before continuing their business. I guessed they recognised me as Alexi's sister. I bit my lip nervously as I was faced with the double doors.

This was it. I was going to get my answers right here and right now. I glanced around me to make sure I wasn't followed by Mark and Tony. I had to bargain with Slade to allow me to visit my brother alone. We weren't worried about Alexi hurting me, it was those other gangs that had attempted to grab me the other time just because I was Alexi Barone's sister.

A guard opened the door and let me in and I made my way up to Alexi's office cautiously. I knocked the door and hearing my brother telling me to come in, I entered.

Alexi looked up from his desk before standing up abruptly and demanded, "Where the hell have you been Miranda?!"

I scowled before glancing away, "I think I should be the one asking the questions Alexi."

My brother narrowed his eyes at me, "No. You are going to answer my question first. You were supposed to meet me three days ago but you didn't show. I was fucking worried! You weren't at your house and your phone wasn't switched on. Where the fuck were you?"

"Lampedusa."

My brother stopped, "Lampedusa. Why?"

I pursed my lips, "I already answered your question. You're to answer mine."

Alexi sighed heavily before sitting down, "Fine. Shoot." I sat down in the chair opposite his and started, "How are you in the Italian Mafia and especially the leader of it?"

Alexi scoffed, "You really don't start with the easy questions do you? I took over a year after dad died. Christopher's dad was temporarily running the Mafia when he passed."

I gaped at him, my father was in the Mafia as well? "Wait dad was in the mafia as well?" Alexi shrugged before meeting my gaze, "Yes. Even Mama. This gang was always run by a Barone Mel way back since the prohibition period in the 1920s."

I remained silent, trying to digest everything. My parents were in the mafia and I never knew. "Why wasn't I told all of this before?" I demanded and Alexi sighed as he downed a scotch in his glass. "You were too young to know and Mama made me promise to never involve you in this when she died."

"Oh." I mumbled as it sank in. "Well then why didn't you tell me when I turned eighteen? I was an adult back then."

"Mel, you're not cut out for this life. You deserve to be far away from it. Mama's dying wish was to keep you safe and away from the gangs and whatnot. Clearly I failed her." Alexi sighed as he rubbed his hand over his face tiredly. For a minute I felt bad but then more questions still buzzed in my head.