Chapter 36-The Reunion

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 36-The Reunion

Miranda Barone's POV

"Slade?"

I stared at him a little confused as I looked around at my surroundings. I was in a hospital? Why? What happened?

I struggled to sit up but gave up when I felt the extreme soreness on my abdomen. Slade looked at me stunned before he quickly stalked towards me, his gaze burning into me.  

"Mel." He breathed out as if he couldn't believe I was there looking at him. I stared at him, committing everything about him to memory as he suddenly pulled me gently into his arms and embraced me tightly.

I let out a sigh as I slipped my arms around him, inhaling his cologne that made my breath hitch. He held me tightly but gently and I shut my eyes as I enjoyed being in his arms. Slowly and reluctantly, Slade pulled away and his eyes took me in, lingering on my face before going down my body.  

"You're awake." He said quietly, his voice full or relief and I gazed into his eyes concerned. "What-" I started but coughed violently. "Water?"  

I nodded and Slade poured me a glass and I drank it down eagerly. Finally able to speak, "What happened? Are you unwell?" I asked worriedly as I took in Slade's haggard appearance. His clothes were all wrinkled, his eyes had dark circles and were bloodshot. He hadn't shaved and his hair looked like his hands had been running through them for days. And what scared me the most was that his eyes were full of worry, relief, love and tenderness as he looked at me.  

One thing I learned about Slade was that he may not say what he was really feeling or thinking but instead, he showed them through his eyes. He may think he is being elusive and all but to me, he was as clear as glass. His blue eyes were expressive and I liked that I was the only one who could really read him.  

Slade barked out a short laugh and shook his head, "Mel you nearly died and you're asking about me?"  

My eyes widened and all the memories came flooding back. My abduction, Mikael, Mark and Tony being hurt, I had been stabbed by Joseph and I had killed a man but didn't regret it.  "Is Mikael alright? What about Mark and Tony? Are you?" I questioned anxiously. 

Slade stroked my cheek affectionately, "I'm fine, I just had some scratches and bruises. Mikael is fine. Mark and Tony are okay, they're pretty banged up but they're fine. Now can we talk about you instead?"  

I nodded, still a little stunned from realising it wasn't a dream. "Alright." Slade sighs and gives me a small smile. "You've put me through hell sweetheart. I thought you had died and I lost my mind."  

From his words and expression that had become a little lost, I felt a little guilty, "Sorry." Slade let out a snort before shaking his head, "What are you apologising for? I should be the one doing so. I couldn't protect you and you almost died." He said bitterly, his eyes were dark from rage.