Beast

~Beast~

Maria Jones slowed her erratic and uneven sprint to a slow walk her breath coming out in white clouds in front of her face. Her brand new designer jeans clung to her legs and the long coat was buttoned up to the chin the same way a five year olds was, she stared down at her 'pretty pink' ballet flats clutching her folder with sweaty palms her heart rate accelerated as home came into view her own personal hell that had been brought to her eighty years too early. Maria attempted to straighten her posture against the heavy backpack that was dragging her 5'4 frame closer the ground and clutched her baby pink folder to her chest attempting to look as neutral as possible despite the sick feeling that rose to her stomach.

Maria's lips trembled in fear as she saw her father waiting impatiently by the front door she swallowed the uncomfortable lump that was building fast in her throat and fought the urge to flick her long brown out of her face something she'd been taught by her dear father never to do, ever.

Thirteen year old Maria sighed in silent frustration as she moved her hands across the keys of the piano in a well practiced manner flicking her hair from face due to the inability to read the music.

"What did you just do!" her father exploded storming into the room where he had been watching her for several minutes.

"N-nothing Father, I couldn't - the music" she stammered in terror her hands slipping from the keys.

"Never ever do such a disgraceful movement in my presence again" he growled

Maria's head snapped to the side before she felt the pain of his slap, her hands raised to cheek and cradled it as it began to sting, she knew worse would follow if she didn't react immediately

"I won't Father, I promise" she swore.

And she never did. She walked up the front steps of the mansion slowly as she attempted to calm herself he was like a wolf he could sense fear and something deep inside her informed her that he enjoyed it.

"You are three minutes late" he exploded the minute her foot hit the threshold

"Y-yes, class ran late today" she stammered swallowing hard, truth is she had fallen while walking in the woods and it took her several minutes to remove any evidence of the event ever happening causing her to have to run the rest of the way home.

"Fine, just hurry and do your homework" he growled causing her to look up in surprise her hair moved back from her face revealing a pair of startling blue eyes that made you think of the ocean in summer.

"Y'yes sir" she said hurriedly walking past him as fast as she could without getting scolded.

"Oh! Maria dear you're home" came the voice of Maria's mother from the living room. Maria narrowed her eyes in the direction the voice had come from before walking forwards to meet with the source.

"Yes Mother, I'm home" Maria bit out sarcastically

"Did everyone like your new clothes, I bet they all noticed" she said lightly in a sing song voice clutching a full glass of red wine in her newly manicured hand.

"Yes Mother, everyone loved it" Maria lied, more like no one noticed, at school Maria is more like a fly on the wall than someone her Mother thinks she is.

"Good, good, I'm glad they got to be jealous of you dear"

Jealous my ass Maria thought bitterly before nodding and smiling knowing full well that the maid in the room clutching the half empty bottle of red wind would run to my Father the minute my toe even dared to inch over the line. "Well, I've got lot's of homework and socialising to do" Maria lied again before turning on her heel and walking up the stairs mechanically.