What Goes Bump In The Night

~What Goes Bump In The Night~

Dimitri couldn't help sneaking onto the Jones' estate after the last light had been shut off, getting in had been too easy for Dimitri, the Jones' had limited guards and the ones that were on duty were already asleep by the time he decided to vault over the fence.

Maria his wolf whispered inside of him a sense of urgency arising find Maria.

Dimitri followed Maria's sweetly stale scent to the double story balcony. Glancing upwards he assessed the situation before scaling the balcony with ease. His wolf growled in satisfaction at the sight of the sleeping girl in front him, but what disturbed him was the fact she was lying on her back so absolutely still if it wasn't for the slight rise and fall of her chest he would have suspected that she was dead. Maria looked anything but comfortable. He tugged on the sliding door slightly suprised that it wasn't locked but it eased his worry because the door being unlocked meant that no one had ever attempted to sneak into Maria Jones' bedroom before.

His ear twitched as he caught a panicked conversation below him.

"Sir, there is no other possibility. One of them is on your property right now! A human could never move as fast as he did."

"Which way did he go" Heath Jones growled angrily spiking Dimitri's interest stalking forwards he spied the pair a few meters away, Heath Jones' hand wrapped around the guards throat.

"I don't know - I mean he even moved to fast for a regular wolf. I think he may have been, you know an Alpha" the guards voice seemed to fill with dread at the thought of an Alpha making it's presence known on the Jones' land. Jones swore under his breath angrily dropping the guard unceremoniously to the ground he stormed back inside. Slamming the door so loudly that Maria gasped awake behind him, stiffening he backed up to the far corner of the room praying that her eyes would not be able to make out his hunched features.

Maria rubbed her eyes furiously, what was that? Groaning under her breath she climbed out of bed grabbing her nightgown and wrapping it around her tightly she headed out onto the balcony not noticing that the door was once again wide open. The first thing she noticed was on of the guards leaping out of her fathers oversized black SUV and then she saw her Father storming over to, the motion sensitive lights turning on as he stormed over to the car, ducking behind a large pot filled with pink forget me nots. Maria squinted struggling to see just what her Father was clinging to as if his life depended on it. Letting a horrified squeak fall from her lips Maria scrambled backwards her hands cupped around he mouth. A gun, what on earth did he intend to do with a gun, he wasn't actually going to use that thing was he? In all of her life she hadn't known her father as the kind of person to favor guns.

Allowing her legs to move forwards she watched in horror as he shoved a guard so violently a sickening crack split through the air as he fell. So it wasn't just her he abused after all, she lifted her shirt slightly to inspect the purpiling bruise on her ribs that had recently faded from its foul black colour, prodding the tender flesh gently a low hiss escaped from her mouth.

"Find him and kill him!" Maria heard her father order to the cluster of guards a gasp tore from her throat, who was he killing?

A low hiss from behind her caused her to turn so fast she was sure that she was going to receive whiplash.

"Who are you?" she demanded stepping into her room and glaring at the figure against my wall "and why does my Father want to kill you"

"Why does he hit you?" a male's voice replied back evenly causing her breath to jam in her throat.

"You are the one in my bedroom in case you hadn't noticed" Maria snapped closing the sliding door to stop anyone down below to discover her talking to the intruder that would surely lead to the worst punishment she'd ever received.

"I have noticed. Why?" he ordered gruffly causing fear to rise in the back of  her throat.

"I don't know"  I replied hugging myself "maybe I deserve it"

"Why would you say that?" he asked moving forwards

"Because if I don't deserve it, that means that he hates me." she whispered.

"You don't know what he is do you?"

"A business man?" Maria questioned edging forwards

"So you are clueless. He is a hunter Maria"

"A hunter?" she questioned as opened the balcony door.

 He chuckled darkly "he hunts things that go bump in the night' and just like that the man disappeared from her room. Maria found herself shivering despite the woolly nightgown, someone had snuck into her room while she was sleeping and was no doubt the reason for her father had a gun. She crept over to her balcony door and slid it shut preventing the cold from creeping any further into her room.

"Hunter" she whispered to herself "bump in the dark?" Maria's frown creased her forehead as she crawled  back into her bed bringing her knees to her chest she mulled over the mans voice in silence, she knew his  voice, which meant that the person in her room had talked to her before. Someone that she knew had snuck into her room at the risk of getting shot.

Maria closed her eyes the word hunter resounding through her ears as she drifted back to sleep.

Sneaking off the land proved to be much more difficult task then getting on it, the amount of guards had tripled, they were all awake and armed but Dimitri was too quick for their feeble squinting eyes to catch sight of him dashing through the night, leaping over the fence with with ease shifted and sprinted into the woods his hackles refusing to go down as his thoughts stayed on Maria, she didn't know what her father was which was clearly leading him to hurt her, who else would have left those bruises on her ribs. Just thinking about them caused him to growl so loudly the trees around seemed to shake. The thought that someone laying their hands on what belonged to him made him see red.

Maria awoke in the morning to the sound of the front door slamming caused her to fall out bed and twist her leg painfully in the sheets. She could hear her Father cursing downstairs and her Mother's voice gently reassuring him, scrambling to her feet Maria sprinted across the room and grabbed the first thing from her wardrobe that her hands touched and bolted to the bathroom locking the door and turning on the tap.

"Maria!" her father shouted slamming his palm against the door

"I'm not decent Father, is something wrong?" she asked shakily staring  through the door.

"Did you hear anything last night?" he asked in a softer tone.

"No Father" she lied "was there a storm should I wear boots today?"she questioned playing dumb.

"No storm, just asking." he said gruffly.

Maria almost collapsed in relief when her bedroom door closed. Jumping into the shower she got dressed into a pale blue cardigan and a pair of jeans. Pulling her damp hair into a ponytail she headed back into her room struggling to put on a pair of shin length boots she shoved her bag full of textbooks and headed downstairs where she was met by her mother's scrutinizing stare.

'You may leave" she said softly.

Maria wanted to question where her father was but thought better of it when her Mother forced something into her hand.

"The address of your new tutor." 

"Thank you" Maria sighed miserably her mother only winked in return sipping on her wine.

Trekking to the front door Maria opened it to overhear he Father on the phone.

"That's right, you heard me a wolf was on my property. In my daughters room. Get here today and help deal with this problem." he hissed into the phone causing Maria to stiffen as she walked past.

Wolf? Was that a code name for something?

- - - - - -

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED