Goodbye

~Goodbye~

Maria's room stank of death. At least that was what she associated with her own rotting flesh. It was dark and she had been alone for the entire day.  Forced to wallow in her own self pity, her parents avoiding her room entirely. The thought of them made her bitter, they were waiting her out. She wouldn't see them again before Jayden's curse took her, she knew it. They couldn't face her whilst she was awake. Instead she would be forced to die alone, it was then coroners would enter her room and cart her out, as if she were no more than a doll. The funeral would be grand, there was no doubting that, Maria was somewhat glad she wouldn't be present for the garish event.

Maria squeezed her eyes shut when she heard the balcony door slide open, followed by the sound of heavy boots landing inside her room. She tilted her head towards the sound and peeled her eyes open, the moonlight reflecting the tears glistening in her eyes as she laid her eyes on the hulking man.

"Dimitri" her voice escaped her as nothing more than a mere croak.

"Oh Maria"  Maria swallowed the lump in her throat when she heard his voice break.

"It's okay" she wheezed pulling her hand away from her wounds and extending it towards him. He took it in an instant, despite the black blood that coated her hand. "It seems that we are a tragedy after all." Maria sighed, she continued, ignoring the rumble in Dimitri's chest "I'm very glad we got to spend some time together at least."

"This isn't goodbye Maria." Dimitri spoke, his voice tight and she wasn't sure if he was holding back fury or tears. 

"Hm." she smiled slipping her eyes shut "I don't think there's an afterlife Dimitri, I think we're given the time we have and that's it." A cough forced it's way up her throat, blood soon followed, trailing down her chin and onto her bedsheets, the dark colour reminding her of spilled ink. Maria spluttered clutching her wounds, the dark hollow rings around her eyes seemed to grow darker as her skin paled, as white and fragile as paper.

"Not long now, you won't leave me will you?" Maria's voice cracked, her eyes wide with fear "I don't want to be alone."

"Never." Dimitri vowed solemnly.

"I'm sorry to leave you, I never could have imagined things would turn out like this." 

Dimitri didn't reply, Maria sensed it was because he didn't know what to say, or maybe he didn't want to ruin their last moments together. Maria's forehead pinched in effort as she struggled to keep her consciousness, too afraid that if she gave into the darkness it would be the last time she would see his face.

"Do you think we would have had children someday?" she asked, her eyes still on Dimitri, drinking in every last detail of his face. He said nothing, but pressed his face to her hands as his grip around them tightened. She didn't miss the slight shake of his shoulders. She was torturing him but in a way, she was torturing herself too. Presenting the idea of what could never be and having it dance before them. 

"I think we would have. They would have been beautiful." Maria closed her eyes, dreaming of a life she would never have.

"I'm sorry." Dimitri spoke gruffly, the voice of a broken man, cracked and warbled as he tried not break down in front of her.

"You can have that life with another, I don't mind" the words tasted like poison in her mouth, it was the last thing she wanted and yet she said it, desperate to see him smile, just one more time.

"Never," his fervent tone set Maria at ease "you were it for me. Are it"

"I love you" Maria croaked, battling the intense wave of exhaustion that was slamming into her.