Friends

~Friends~

Maria sat in the kitchen the next morning alone, staring down at her bowl of soggy cereal, her thoughts muddled as she mulled over yesterday's events. Dimitri hadn't said another word after he claimed her as 'his' and it infuriated Maria to no end as she watched him leave without explanation. 

"Sorry I'm late!" Rosie cried bursting into the kitchen, the ends of her hair damp "Lucas was being difficult" she huffed in annoyance, Maria watched in amusement as the older girl scraped her hair into a pony tail, not bothering to wrestle the fly aways back into their place. 

"Where is he?" Maria asked softly finally giving up on trying to eat breakfast. 

"Upstairs, playing. I thought I'd bring him down after you left." Maria glanced at Rosie out the corner of her eye and watched as she wrung her hands together sheepishly, an ashamed look shadowing her face. 

"I want to meet your son." Maria said firmly "I was told not to let strangers in the house, although I'm not sure if that applies to children." Maria grinned in triumph as the blonde tackled her into a hug. 

"Thank you for being so kind to us. I was worried that you would be scared that your parents would not like a teen mum to have any influence over you." 

"Well, they're not here are they" Maria retaliated lightly, nudging the teary eyed woman away "besides, what more damage could they do really." Maria smiled to herself as she watched Rosie's back disappear back the way it came. Maria cleaned up the mess she had made whilst making herself breakfast, her thoughts trained on Dimitri.

"Lucas, this is Maria, mummy works for her parents so be nice." Maria turned at the sound of Rosie's voice, her eyes landing on a blond haired toddler, who had tucked himself safely behind his mothers legs. 

"Hi Lucas" Maria cooed lightly, crouching to the boys level. 

"Hi" he whispered back his blue eyes wide with caution. 

"There's a bunch of toys upstairs, would you like me to get them for you?" Maria asked tucking a length of her silken hair behind her ear. The boy nodded quickly and Maria returned it with a warm smile. "Okay, I'll be right back. Maybe you should ask your Mummy to make you pancakes" she said watching the boys eyes light up with excitement. 

"Can you Mummy? Can you?" he asked jumping up and down. Maria smiled and pulled away from him, heading upstairs and taking them two at a time. She stood on her desk chair which wobbled precariously beneath her as her fingers inched towards a cardboard box hidden on the top shelf. She only just managed to loop her fingers through the hole cut in the side of the box when chair tilted to the side causing her to topple to the floor, the box landing beside her with a thump, only missing her face by centimetres. Maria huffed out in annoyance and rolled onto her stomach ignoring the dull ache on her lower back caused by the fall. 

"Maria! Are you okay?" Maria stiffened at the husky voice, which she knew did not belong to Rosie. She looked up to see Dimitri dashing towards her, she watched on with wide eyes as he crouched beside her "is anything broken?" he asked tilting her face towards him. 

"No, I'm okay" she said softly allowing Dimitri to help her back to her feet. She brushed her clothes off and smoothed her hair down. 

"What were doing?" he scolded, running his hands up and down her arms. Maria watched on with caution. 

"Getting that box down for Rose's son." she replied meekly.

She watched as a sigh heaved through his chest as he bent down to pick it up, the leather of his jacket brushing against her side. "I'll take it down, and then I'm taking you to school."