Mother Annabel

Maria sat on the dining room chair fidgeting nervously as she stared at her father as he talked quietly into the phone "I don't care if she finishes early, give her something else to do." he all but screamed down the phone. "No, that won't be necessary, I will find her a new  tutor." Maria's heart sunk through the floor at these words. Her freedom gone.

"You did the right thing dear" Maria's mother slurred slightly drawing her fingernails down the tense mans arm her curls falling over her face as she giggled merrily seemingly completely unaware of the tense atmosphere.

"Who will teach me now?" Maria spoke softly, refusing her body the right to flinch as her father turned his angry stare in her direction.

"Someone from your school, someone I will be able to trust" he snapped angrily shoving the drunk woman off him he stormed upstairs and the last sound from him  was the slamming of the bedroom door. Maria watched in silence as her mother slumped against the counter top and started to talk to her so fast she could barely understand so she chose to focus on the wine  glass that's red contents were slowly pooling on the counter. Her mother didn't notice.

"I never liked that woman" she said angrily slamming the glass down so hard Maria jumped and watched as a jagged crack split it's way through the polished glass

"Which woman Mother?" Maria asked politely, Maria's mother hated every woman who she thought would be able to take her husband from her, even if it was her eighty year old grandmother.

"That tutor of yours, I never liked the way she looked at your father, I know she wants to steal my dear Heath" she sighed against her palm,

"No Mother, I don't think she did" Maria spoke softly her voice shaking slightly as she stepped forwards, her mother's gaze snapped to her angrily,

"I think I would know more about whores and my husband than you" she snapped angrily her blue eyes burning as if someone somewhere had lit a fire within her.

"Mother, she is sixty and married. Happily, she had no interest in Father I promise. Her passion was teaching me Physics." Maria smiled nervously letting her hand move towards her Mother shakily. It's not like she had any other choice, if she left her alone in the kitchen anything could happen to her and the blame would instantly fall on Maria and if she didn't try to comfort her Mother she would grow to the point of hysteria within a few minutes.

"Don't" she snapped slapping Maria's hand away as if it was an annoying pest "I am Annabel Jones and I will not be treated like a child" she spoke haughtily climbing to her feet and flicking her glossy ringlets over her shoulder she looked Maria square in the eye "and you are my daughter, I will not let some old woman teach you. I will find you a new and a much better tutor. I swear it" Annabel said softly resting her hand on Maria's cheek completely oblivious to the fact the all Maria wanted to do was scream at the top of her lungs and run from the room.

"Thank you" Maria spoke hoarsely hoping that her mother would completely forget this conversation.

"Anytime" Annabel said softly kissing Maria's forehead leaving a sticky pink mark in it's stead.

"I - I'm going to go and study now" she said softly moving past her mother and out of the kitchen where she bolted up the stairs as fast as her worn legs would let her go. Maria was still an unhealthy ghostly pale from her encounter with the wolf but no one had seemed to notice, no one saw that her hands were shaking for a good ten minutes after she gotten through the front door, they were too busy scolding her. They weren't real parents not to her, real parents would have noticed the changes, real parents would allow her to bring friends home - not that she actually had any.

Real parents would care.

 Closing the door to her bedroom Maria attempted to wipe the mark from her forehead  resulting in the sticky residue spreading across her forehead, muttering under her breath Maria stripped her clothing from her and headed to her bathroom for a bath to try and soak the pain from limbs from the chase she had been involved in with a wolf.

of all the things, a wolf.

Maria climbed into the steaming bath scented with rose oils and tipped her back in a relaxed motion even though her stomach was churning in her nervousness, who were her parents going to make her tutor. If her Mother had anything to do with it Maria knew that the tutor would be male and young and her Father is desperate to get someone who is already in league of paid spies.

"God" she moaned "it's probably going to be Mr Harrison" she thought of the fresh out of University teacher with an ego as big as Jupiter and bile rose in the back of her throat.

Maria scrubbed her skin raw and didn't let the water out of the bath until the water began to grow cold, climbing to her feet she focused on her fingers that had turned wrinkled from being wet for too long and couldn't help the morbid thought that in time to come they would look like that naturally. Wrapping her towel around her she dried herself vigorously and stepped out into her room to see how dark it had become outside, clutching to the towel as if it was some sort of lifeline she crept over to the windows and looked up at the starless sky focusing on the inky black of the sky she couldn't help but notice that it seemed to stretch on forever.Shivering slightly Maria gripped one curtain and pulled it shut before doing the same with the other.

Dressing herself in the warm flannelet pyjamas Maria did the buttons up slowly leaving the last one undone as she tried her best not to look at the 'Pounce on me pink' colour of her pyjamas, yet another item of clothing she owed to her mother.

Maria looked at the digital clock beside her bed and felt slight disappointment run through her at the sight of '8:45' glaring back at her. Maria's mother and father refused to retreat into their rooms until ten o'clock every night. Which meant that she would be forced to eat the dietary food her Mother forced upon her, to keep her figure in check, the cooks idea of dietary made Maria cringe. Heading downstairs she trailed to the dining room miserably unable to contain how hungry she was anymore she perched herself on her chair and waited for one of the maids to set the food before her.

The slight clatter caused Maria to jump slightly and look up she smiled slightly as she saw Rose before her who winked and pulled the lid off the silver platter, Maria's mouth watered longingly at the sight, this was not in her diet. An oversized chicken fillet sat on her plate covered in bacon and melted cheese.

"Thank you" she whispered under her breath to Rose who poured her a coke.

"It's okay, I saw what your meant to have, I tried feeding it to the horses but they wouldn't have any of it and that says something" she winked cheekily before straightening up and walking from the room quickly.