Monster

~Monster~ 

Maria sat at the piano, her soft voice mixing with gentle melody emitting from the instrument. Early morning sun streamed through the bay windows catching on the dust dancing lazily in the room. Maria felt more peace than she had in her entire life, she suspected it was due to the man stretched out on the lounge chair in front of her, marking term papers. It felt to Maria as if they had been together for eternity, it was natural to her and made her feel safe within herself.

"Dimitri" her quiet voice broke the tranquility in the room. She watched as Dimitri's hand stilled, the red pen in his hand cutting its critiquing sentence short.

"What's wrong?" he questioned, making a move towards Maria. She sighed and tucked her hair behind her ears.

"My parents are coming home today." she spoke softly, knotting her fingers together "I haven't seen them since" since she told them she hated them. Maria had no idea what was going to happen to her now they were back. "You won't be able to come here anymore, neither will Liam or Jayden. None of you will be allowed through the front gates."

"We won't need to. The security will come back with your parents. You'll be completely safe." Dimitri reassured running his fingers through Maria's silken hair. Maria frowned, her safety was the least of her worries. There would be no more breakfasts, no more lounging in the sunroom, she would no longer be able to play his favourite songs for him. Her favourite parts of the day were being torn from her and it made her miserable.

"Yes" Maria snapped "I'll be safe and sound, nestled within the grasp of my loving parents. I'll see you at school and our weekly 'tutoring' session." Maria looked up at him, her blue eyes were glossy, tears of frustration building in the corners of her eyes. Dimitri's own face fell, as if this fact had yet to cross his mind.

"It's getting late, we should leave." Maria said softly avoiding Dimitri's gaze as she rose from the piano stool, pulling her coat on. She shuffled down the porch steps slowly. When she re-entered the house this afternoon, no later than four 'o' clock, everything would be different. Rosie's son would be gone, the warm feeling brought about by the small group would be replaced by the cold sterile feeling that a only a house full of maids and guards could bring about. It was freezing, her thick parka did almost nothing to ward off the cold, she knew this was a sign the snow was on it's way. Wrapping her arms around herself, Maria's reddened fingers trembled by her side as she waited for Dimitri to unlock the car. He left the house with both Liam and Jayden in tow, all three in jeans and light jackets didn't seem to notice the ice like chill to air.

Maria had managed to build a rocky friendship with both Liam and Jayden, Jayden had even learnt to relax a little. Maria hopped from one foot to the other as the men took their time getting to the car, the tip of her nose turning pink as her fingers began to go numb.

"Say goodbye to my house forever everyone" Maria chimed a smile on her face despite her churning stomach.

"Goodbye house, forever!" Liam called waving to the house, Jayden rolled his eyes and Dimitri's eyes darkened as he stared down Maria an unreadable expression on his face. Maria sighed in relief as the car was finally unlocked and jumped into the front seat, cranking up the heater as high as it would go. Maria's teeth clashed together as Dimitri started the car.

"How are you three not cold right now? My fingers are going to fall off!" she exclaimed presenting her red hands to the trio.

"Hot blooded" Liam winked suggestively. A dangerous growl rocked through the car as they pulled out the driveway. Maria turned to Dimitri with wide eyes as Liam uttered a sheepish apology from behind her. No one said a word as they pulled into the school, Maria got out of the car with an irritated huff, ignoring Dimitri's stare as she walked into the school, Liam and Jayden close behind her.