Chapter Twelve: A Sudden Loss

*Three Months Later*

Lloyd shot up in a cold sweat. He tried to calm his breathing so as to not wake Aira. This was the twentieth night in a row that he had experience a nightmare. This was getting ridiculous. It was almost like he was cursed. Was he? Nah! The thing was, when he was awake he really wasn't that worried about it but when he dreamed......

"Lloyd, this is getting ridiculous," Aira said sitting up. "This has been going on for almost three months!"

"I know I'm sorry," he said rubbing his temple.

"What is bothering you?" She asked for the hundredth time.

"Honestly, nothing," Lloyd said. "I'm not sure why I'm having these dreams."

"I don't know but you are going to make yourself sick," she said in a reproachful tone. "You have got to get more sleep."

"It's not like I'm trying to be awake," he snapped.

"I know I know," Aira said. "Ignore me. I'm a tired and cranky, pregnant woman."

"Who needs lots of rest for her and the baby," Lloyd said laying down beside her. He put his arms around her and tried to go back to sleep.

Five o'clock came and went. Then six o'clock. He drifted off around seven and awoke again at nine. Aira wasn't in bed. He jumped up and got dressed.

"Oh, Sensei is going to kill me," Lloyd mumble to himself. They were all supposed to be at breakfast by eight and training by nine.

He rushed down the hallway and nearly knocked Amaya over.

"Ah! Sorry!" He yelled running past her.

"Where's the fire?" She yelled sarcastically.

"Hopefully just with Kai," he yelled back.

He ran into the training room and skidded to a halt. The others looked at him.

"Nephew, Aira informed us that you were unwell," Wu said. "What are you doing here?"

"I feel fine," Lloyd said. "I just didn't really sleep last night. Are we ready to start?"

"Actually Sensei is sending Jay and me to Stix. We got an urgent call from Ronin," Kai said.

"So?"

"Training is postponed till they get back," Wu said.

"Thank goodness," Lloyd said sitting down in a nearby chair.

"Lloyd, maybe you should take the day off," Jay suggested before leaving.

"Nephew, you are dismissed from training today," Wu said. "Go spend some time with your wife."

"Thank you," Lloyd said wearily.

He left the room and walked to the kitchen. Aira was in the middle of making something and didn't notice him. He leaned against the doorpost and just looked at her. She was almost four months along and she was starting to show. She thought she looked like a fat blob but he thought she looked cute.

"Ah! Lloyd! You're supposed to be asleep," Aira yelped nearly dropping the pan she was carrying.

"I like being with you instead," he smirked.

"Watching me from the door," she winked. "Kinda creepy, Hon."

"I like it when you call me that," he laughed. "Sensei gave me the day off. What do you say we go and make a day of it?"

"Really?" Aira smiled. "Well, you will have to give me a few minutes to look proper."

*********************************

Kai and Jay ran towards Ronin's shop. All the lights were off and the door was ajar.

"What's going on?" Jay said cautiously.

"Ronin?" Kai yelled inside.

No answer.

"Ronin? Are you here?" Kai yelled again.

Still no answer.

"Do you think something happened to him?" Jay asked worriedly.

"Look up there!" Kai yelled.

A figure flew across the rooftop and out of sight. Kai and Jay used airjitzu to reach the rooftop. The figure jumped to another roof. They followed.

Kai was the first to catch the fugitive. He knocked him over and pinned him to the roof.

"Clouse," Jay said.

"What are you doing in this neck of the woods?" Kai asked sarcastically.

"Dealing with a threat," Clouse said. "Now if you will excuse me."

He began to chant some words and Kai went flying. Jay charged at Clouse and kicked him hard in the mouth. He could feel Clouse's jaw bone snapping with the force of the kick. Clouse yelled in pain and took off again. Jay followed close behind. Clouse whipped around a corner and Jay followed.

Jay stopped dead in his tracks. Pain exploded through his body. Clouse had stabbed him in the stomach. Jay gasped for air and stumbled backwards.

"Jay!" Kai shouted.

Jay felt himself falling from the roof. He hit water and the cold surrounded him. His gaze darkened and he knew no more.

"Jay!" Kai screamed.

Clouse laughed and ran off. Kai fell to knees and wept.

A/n- Don't stop reading! We don't know if Jay is actually dead! Do you really think Jay is dead? Tell me in the comments! Hope you enjoyed even though it was heart wrenching and tear rendering. -LL_17